mxguy125

Oct 5, 2001
I just rode my new CRF today, i've been riding a 426 for a year and a half and I can tell you the CRF is the new standard for motocross thumpers. The power is an insignificant factor, most people can't use all the 426's horses anyway, but for those who must know,yes the CRF is noticably a little faster on the track. The big thing for me was the feel of the bike and the handling. The big-bike feel you get from a 426 is gone, the CRF feels like a 250 size wise. The bike is nimble and noticably lighter, and it doesn't turn slow like the 426. Your corner speed wil definetely benefit from the CRF. The suspension is awesome, my bone stock CRF is twice as good as my pro-action 426. Bottom line- All the hype is for real, this bike is for real.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I have heard a weight of 235

without fuel. Isn't that about 15 lbs. lighter than a 426? I applaude Yamaha for coming out with a competetive MX thumper, and I give Honda a standing ovation for stepping up to bat. ( Where is Kawasaki and Suzuki ?? No the DRZ is not a MX bike:D )

If they hold up, which I am sure they will, I plan on getting the 03' if my finances work out. It might be even better next year!:)

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I got to ride the 450 today too, and owning an 01 426 and an 02 CR 250 I wasn't that impressed with the engine(I like the "hit") but the suspension is awesome. I'm still torn between the 426 and my 02 CR 250, but for now the 450 isn't for me. I don't think Yamaha will stand around for 03. Ferry's bike is a rocket compared with the stock 426 and probably close to the weight of a 250.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I'm sure it is too, he doesn't have oil in the frame no counterbalancer and the crank is cut down, not to mention titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
My buddy tht bought the CR 450 had an 01 520 and didn't want to go to another 520, especially since AMA rules won't let it compete in the 250 class in 02. I'm not sure how the AMA will deal with it at the amateur level, neither was he. Rumor has it that for 03 Honda is going to come out with a 230F, which might indicate that there is a rule change coming.:cool:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The 230 is a trail bike. It was designed to compete with the TTR's.

The 450 rag reviews, just seem O.K. I had a deposit on one, and bought an '02 400SX instead. I am now glad I did. The CRF is 7 lbs lighter than my 400 (240 vs. 233). My bike has been weighed without gas, with fluids. There are no desert parts available yet for the 450. The rags say that it is totally different from the Cr250, including the gas tank. For closed course though, it sounds pretty strong.

Last edited:

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Let me reiterate. I have heard rumors that the "New" bike that Honda plans on coming out with in 03 (to compete in the 125 class per AMA rules) will be a 230. Possibly Honda knows something we don't. I'm not talking about an XR 230.
Regards:cool:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

Originally posted by IBWFO
Let me reiterate. I have heard rumors that the "New" bike that Honda plans on coming out with in 03 (to compete in the 125 class per AMA rules) will be a 230. Possibly Honda knows something we don't. I'm not talking about an XR 230.
Regards:cool:

Honda has chosen to name their new '03 playbike (a warmed over XR200) the CRF230F. They have also announced the CRF150F (another playbike). With their misguided model naming, it's Honda's own fault that this rumor has started. :think

Maybe they''ll come to their senses and rename it before it's released next year.

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
You guys are thinking about it all wrong why not call your play bikes CRF's like the race bikes?! Its a marketing scam its for all those little ones who don't want to be uncool cause there bud down the street has a real CRF LOL :D

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
...and here I thought it was about the wind in your face, the dirt ring around your goggles, for the love or riding.

"Ahhhh, a profit racket eh??"
"Step right up and win some crap!";)

Chugger

Nov 7, 2000
I'm glad you seemingly in the know guys straigtened all that out. I was wondering what the heck the cheapo forks were doing on the CR230f!

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
And all those fins on the cylinder and head!

Anyway, Honda wouldn't release a 230cc to fight against the 250cc Yamie. Honda may be good, but they still need to follow basic engineering principles and fight displacement with like displacement - you really shoulda known ;)

Chugger

Nov 7, 2000
Shoulda known, but why the hell would they screw up a naming scheme they've used since the '70s?

Husqvarna won't know what name to use next - - -

jayrome

Aug 23, 2001
I am waiting for my 450, which should be in next week. Is there anybody out there who is in the 220lb range that can attest to the suspension on the 450. Will I need stiffer forks?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by Chugger
Shoulda known, but why the hell would they screw up a naming scheme they've used since the '70s?

Husqvarna won't know what name to use next - - -

Just to clarify, the first year for the Husqvarna CR name on their motocross bikes was 1972.
Honda didn't even have a motocross bike until 74 or 75. And I'm not sure but I think the first Honda motocross bikes were called the MRs and I know the 1975 dual sport version was the MT Elsinore.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I was just at the honda shop and they loading up the 405F they have had. It was a happy day for someone. As I was walking out they had it fired up in the back of his truck. It sounded pretty mean. I caught a breif look at it. They sure look nice. I asked one of the sales man and he said that they all crusied around the parking lot, so I did not get a decent report.

B

biglou

Two at a local track today

My thoughts on it? I like it. Like any new bike, this thing is a work of art. My evaluation? I could switch bikes with the owner and he would still spank me! The bike is very clean. Great lines. Outstanding attention to detail. Auto decomp with a little bitty hot start lever where the decomp lever would normally be. Not too loud at idle, but it comes alive under load. I didn't get to ride it, but I'm guessing that anyone who's ridden a big-bore MX thumper before will have an idea in their head what the power will feel like. Would I buy one? Prolly, but not right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I saw two of them at the dealer today, sweet bikes. Didn't ride it or anything, but man that thin looks wicked. They also had a new YZ426F there. The CRF wins in the looks department and attention to detail. The Titanium headpipe is so cool to see. I can't wait to see a CRF250R.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Damn these gimp feet! Lou, that is absolutely killin' me! I wanna ride...waaa, waaa.

Is the proud owner one of our regulars? In other words, how does one get to ride the beast?

You know my weakness for the CR's-I'm ALL ate up with the Honda goof-ball. Always have been, always will. I am definitely going to purchase this scoot, but I've gotta get a ride on one pretty soon. Kinda like getting to drive the Rousch Stage III blown Mustang the other day-the experience will hold me over until I can afford one.

Just one more month, just one more month...

Top Bottom