adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Looking for a bike for the girl friend, found the two 2004's listed above for the same price. Sounds like the CRF is in a little nicer shape, but pics of both look pretty good (going to look in person when I get back in AZ). Just trying to weigh pros/cons of the two.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) size
5'1", 125ish and shrinking

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being most agressive, I can see her attacking this with a 7 or 8. She's pretty competitive, and I can see her wanting to prove herself.

3) what do you plan to ride?
Probably start off with just open desert, slowly move her towards single track

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Does a bicycle count? Only motorized thing she's driven is a car, and never a manual.

5) Do you think you will race ?
She's asked about women's classes in the scramble stuff I do, so she may try one someday.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I'll do all the work, and can handle just about anything (as long as I can find time to work on the junk!)

I left out the questions that don't matter, or can be easily answered by reading the title! I'm just wondering if there is any big reason (reliability, suspension, handling) that I should swing one way or the other here. Who knows, might end up with neither, we'll see.

I'm leaning towards the CRF, I think she may be more comfortable on the smaller bike for learning. My boss has one for his kid, so I want to try and get her on that to see if she really wants to do this whole riding thing. She's gun-ho about it now, but I am afraid a few crashes and a day of stalling might end that enthusiasm. People are telling me to keep the KDX and put her on it, but I think that's just way too much bike for her size/skill level, especially with all the engine mods.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
kawicam250 said:
the KDX would be way too big for her, and she wouldnt enjoy the sport. for open desert, the bigger the bike the better. and she'll be able to handle either bike. the KLX125 is, IMHO, what you should go for of the 2. the CRF150F would be a 3rd option.

I was originally thinking about the 150F or even a TTR125. The reason it's down to the CRF100 and KLX125 right now is because a co-worker is getting ready to sell them but has offered "first dibs" at a very reasonable price.

I really don't want to put her on a taller bike that will intimidate her, but if the KLX is worlds ahead of the CRF in suspension or something like that then maybe it would be worth it. I just double checked and the KLX is the L version, so it's a few inches higher then the CRF. Guess I'll have to set her on them and see how she does.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
adam728 said:
I was originally thinking about the 150F or even a TTR125. The reason it's down to the CRF100 and KLX125 right now is because a co-worker is getting ready to sell them but has offered "first dibs" at a very reasonable price.

I really don't want to put her on a taller bike that will intimidate her, but if the KLX is worlds ahead of the CRF in suspension or something like that then maybe it would be worth it. I just double checked and the KLX is the L version, so it's a few inches higher then the CRF. Guess I'll have to set her on them and see how she does.

at 5'1'', she should fit on both bikes, but she'll have more fun on the KLX, even if it is the "L" version. you do have the right mind set, as far as not trying to scare her away. as long as your there to guide her and make sure she knows what she's doing, she'll be fine :cool: .

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I like the KLX better, more suspension and front disc brake. Take her to a dealer and see which bike fits her better.

Good luck, Steve.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Looks like this didn't matter. Got her on the CRF today. She moved about 6 inches, paniced and froze, went about 12-15 feet and dumped the bike. Wasn't a bad crash at all (probably going 3-4 mph), but she managed to land with the foot peg in her lower abdomen. Waiting for the cat scan results, hopefuly nothing torn/ruptured. She said she's never touching a motorcycle again.

Great weekend. Yesterday a buddy went down hard being dumb, broken wrist, arm, ankle, nose, head injuries, tons of rock rash. Buckle your helmet!!!!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
adam728 said:
Looks like this didn't matter. Got her on the CRF today. She moved about 6 inches, paniced and froze, went about 12-15 feet and dumped the bike. Wasn't a bad crash at all (probably going 3-4 mph), but she managed to land with the foot peg in her lower abdomen. Waiting for the cat scan results, hopefuly nothing torn/ruptured. She said she's never touching a motorcycle again.

Great weekend. Yesterday a buddy went down hard being dumb, broken wrist, arm, ankle, nose, head injuries, tons of rock rash. Buckle your helmet!!!!

im sorry for what happened to your GF and buddy, its a shame that something like this would happened to your GF, especially since she was just getting started :| .

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
GF is A-OK. :)

Save for a decent scrape and some swelling (and probably bruising tomorrow) she's just sore and limping around. There was a lot of concern being that it was an abdoment shot. They seemed fairly surprised her bladder didn't rupture, becase that's where the direct hit was and all the swelling.

As for Bob, it is a shame what happened, but he was riding WAY too fast in an area he didn't know.

Top Bottom