Jddlwlr

Apr 18, 2007
I want to get a bike. I want a Honda four stroke.
My dilemma is whether to get the 150 or the 230.
Im 6' and about 150lbs. No real riding experience (i rode a 80cc for about 10 min) but im pretty aggressive and pick up stuff fast enough. I want to get a serious bike that will pull me faster than i would want to go, but something that i can handle when im just starting to get the hang of it. Also budget is a problem, the 230s are alot more arent they?
I could go 2 stroke if there is a better option for me.
I will probably just be riding trails, maybe a little jumps etc. I dont really know yet.
The guy i will be riding with alot says to get the 150 becuase its easy enough to handle. But i want some more opinions.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
A 150 would be small for your size so I'd go with the 230 if you can find the money.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Jddlwlr said:
My friends seem to think i wont be able to handle the 230.
Any of you think that will be a problem?

I'm 5''11 nearly 160 pounds and I handle the CRF250R no problem, I don't see why you would have any problems with the 230. I don't know your skill level, but you should be able to adapt to the bike easily. Just know that what is restraining you is not your physical size.

skyhigh230

Mar 21, 2007
im 14...my first bike was a honda CRF230 if you say you will learn fast then dont get it go with the CRF250 4stroke ive had both the crf230 is about the same but it is HEAVY it weights about 240 its really big for hits seat hight and if i can ride one as my first bike then you shouldnt have a problem with the 250. And from time to time i thank myself for getting the 230 because i can now rip on my dads YZ250(2-stroke) and mess around with it when i like..but he dont like me touching it its his "baby"

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
The crf230 makes like 16hp, which is less than most lawn mowers. I agree with some of the other folks that recomended the crf250. At 150lbs you may regret purchasing the 230 after riding it for a couple months. Your 6' tall, the crf250 will be perfect for you. Dont even think about the 150.

Jan 3, 2007
I think the 230 is a great bike and especialy for the price. It can handle anything you through at it besides MX tracks. At your weight you should be fine because i ride one once in a while and i am 220 and it pulls and lugs me up most hills.

Mx_rider7

Jan 13, 2007
i think you should get eather a 125 2t or even a 250f. Trust me the 230 has no power! i have ridden one an i hate it i also have ttr125 that dosent have much eather but it is way lighter. I really recomend for you to not get eather you were talking about just go for one that i said because it might take a couple of rides to get used to but in the long run it would be wrth it. I rode a yz450 no problem and that was me coming of of a ttr125 so if i can ride a 450 at the age of 13 then you can handle a 250f or 125 2t

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
get a used xr250 to start with and it you want move up and sell it without losing much/any money with the sale. You won't want aanything smaller than the xr.

lisah

Apr 27, 2007
Not sure if you bought your bike yet... but, here's a girl's two cents. I currently ride the 150F and I am 5'7 and 115lbs. The 150 was 2 short for me to begin with, but I wanted a small, super-easy bike to learn on. Well, 2 months later, I'm already shopping for a 250! The wheel size, suspension, and small frame feel secure, but the bigger bike (230/250) is SO much easier to ride - especially on loose dirt roads, larger rocks, ruts, etc. My husband has a WR250 which I have ridden and can really tell the difference - the 150 gets squirly and just can't keep up. I was really nervous about getting the right first bike - and know that getting one too big, or too small, can effect your experience. I think that you will be surprised at how fast you learn and how fast you will outgrow a small, learning bike. If $$$ is a factor, then go with the 230 or a used 250, I would not recommend the 150 for your size. Hope that helps!

CR38

Mar 13, 2007
I started out on a yamaha tt-r 225 when I was 15 and had pretty much no riding experience and it was a great beginer bike for me. I got really board quick with it though and I bought a cr125 a few months later. I would consider an xr250 if I were you because you won't get board of the power as quick.

lisah

Apr 27, 2007
I don't really notice it diving so much, but I'm pretty light... my husband, on the other hand, complains about it every time he rides it. What I do notice is how much the front wheel - being so small - gets caught and jerked around. Stiffer springs would probably help - that's a good idea. Have you ridden your friend's 150? I would think it would feel very cramped for you - I bought raised bars and still feel, esp. when I stand, that the bike is just too small for me for any serious riding.

Bohawg00

Apr 27, 2007
I have an XR250 and I love it. Geared for trail riding and not overly aggressive(although w a few modifications could be) I'm 6' 230 and it takes me everywhere I want to go.

Jan 3, 2007
lisah, i ride the thing alot, and i am 250lbs and 5 foot 10 or so and love it. For my size that thing can pull me up some huge hills and plus i love it on the track. In comparison with my 79 IT175 the CRF150 has more suspesion and a more sporty feel. I think i like it because i can through it around really easy. In reality i could ride a CRF230F and be competitive on it in enduros. Most people under estimate these bikes way to often and compare them to a race bike. Last year my friend with the CRF230F and CRF150F entered with all three bikes in a different class. He dominated in his class with the 230. On my IT175 i came 3rd in the 200cc class that was filled with KDXs and KTM 200EXCs. He did great in the big wheel mini class on the 150.

It all depends on the rider and the style they ride in. I find i ride the power alot better on smaller then 200CC bikes. Same goes for my friend. I also love to ride the bike to my its limits so i tend to like the small bore because i fine i progress mor on a smaller bike. But thats probably just me.

Kong

May 9, 2007
Jddlwlr said:
My friends seem to think i wont be able to handle the 230.
Any of you think that will be a problem?

My 12 year old grandson who is about 5'5 or 6 rides a 230. This will be his third season and he rides great, no problems.

The 230 is a really sweet bike, especially considering the price. He rides very hard stuff high mountain woods trails and Moab rocks.

If you can afford it get the 230, the power will not be a big deal. smooth power, and the smoothest clutch I ever felt. Big tires, same as a 250 which really help keep you out of trouble and handle sand and mud well.

If you can aford it, consider a 250. You are tall enough and it will last you a long time. It has fully adjustable suspension which makes a huge difference. Seat heigh is right at 2" taller than the 230. I'm 6' tall and the 250 is cake.

Good luck and have fun!

lisah

Apr 27, 2007
2 Strokes, sounds like you are pretty familiar with the 150 and sounds like you really like it. I love the size as well, but I don't like the small front tire - it seems to grab and pull me around. I decided to buy a bigger bike last week because the 150 seemed to be just too small/short. I decided to get an 06 wr250 and absolutely LOVE it. I was pretty nervous of the seat height, but immediately got used to it and rode 100 times better than I ever did on my 150!!! The suspension (amazing!), bigger tires, taller seat, riding position, power, etc. was so much better and, surprisingly, so much easier to handle - especially going fast. I am so much more confident on this bike! So, after my new purchase, I would think about what you really want out of your bike and try some others if you get the chance. Hope this helps!
:)

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
Kong said:
If you can aford it, consider a 250. You are tall enough and it will last you a long time. It has fully adjustable suspension which makes a huge difference. Seat heigh is right at 2" taller than the 230. I'm 6' tall and the 250 is cake.

Good luck and have fun!

He is definitely right. The CRF150F or even the CRF150R is way too small for a 6 foot rider. 230's aren't any comparison to a CRF250X. And you can get used to it easily. CRF250X =D But if you can't get the money I would go ahead and get the 230.

Top Bottom