supermike

Apr 29, 2003
I've been riding dirtbikes on and off for almost 20 years. Over the past few years though, i've mostly ridden streetbikes until i picked up a 93 KTM 300EXC (i don't know why everyone says the older KTMs are junk)...

Anyway, My fiance seems really interested in buying a streetbike, but at the risk of sounding like a hypocrit, i don't think street bikes are safe, especially to learn on. I'm trying to persuade her to become more interested in Dirtbikes, and may even get rid of my street bike to keep her safe.

She's about 5'6" and maybe 120-125 lbs... thought the CRF150 would be a good choice, but what other bikes would be good for someone her sized (and to keep up with me when she gets a bit of experience0?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I've been going through this same process for my 14 year old son lately, who is 5'4" and 100lbs. Some background. The Yamaha TTR125L was designed to one-up the XR100 and now the CRF150 was designed to one-up the TTR125L. The funny thing is Honda slammed the TTR when it came out noting it was 20lbs heavier than the XR100. Now the CRF150 is 40lbs heavier than the TTR125L! Granted the 150 has more suspension travel and some nicer components (aluminum swingarm and such), but 40lbs is a lot when you're picking it up after falls. For '03 the TTR125L also offers and electric start option, though the things are so easy to start I wouldn't want the added weight and maintenance of a battery.

Meanwhile Kawasaki/Suzuki partnership have released a head-on competitor to the TTR125 called the KLX125 and DRZ125 respectively. Just as the TTR offers a regular and an L version (L has bigger rims and disk brake), same with the Kawazukis. These are very close so it kind of comes down to color preference and what you can get a better deal on.

If you want to take the next step up it's hard to beat a Kawasaki KDX200. It's a 2 stroke but it's very electric and plushly suspended. Benefits are easy starting, light weight, low cost of ownership, and the darned things are everywhere.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
I bought the 150 for my wife.She's 5'4".She rode a XR 100 for a couple of years but it was small for her but a good bike.The 150 is super solid.My wife picks hers up,just use leverage.You might have her sit on the 150 and see how her feet touch.My wife loves her 150 and we do single track only, very technical trails.Whatever you get don't blow her out of the water,let her get used to the bike of choice.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The CRF150 is a good choice for kids who are too big for a TTR/DRZ/KLX125 and short wives(no offence). My mom is 6' and we looked at the 230 we're not a big 4 stroke family. The CRF/XR are very good bikes to learn on and play around on. I sat on a 150 after I got a KDX(I'm 5'6") and if fit me but after I rode the KDX I don't think I'll ever part from it.

Choices:
CRF150-Not for racing(or maybe even hard riding) learning bike/easy trail bike

KDX-the easy to ride, easy to maintain, easy to modifiy, cheap and plentiful TWO STROKE!

KX100-get the cylinder ported and you have a excellent trail bike that can be raced(or not). A little smaller than the KDX so easier to hande in tight trails.

I would not get a 125 four stroke. Most likely it's too small sizewise and its deffinatly too small powerwise.

Probably too big(or too heavy) bikes:
XR200/250, TT-R225/250, DRZ250/DR200-all heavy, underpowered, and mushy suspension

My $0.02 expirience.
Good luck and have fun.

Top Bottom