230dirtchick

Dec 7, 2003
Hello,

I have a new CRf230 and am having trouble keeping the front forks aligned properly in the triple clamps, as a result the front wheel drifts to one side. I can literally kick it back into place. I have adjusted and tightened it many times but always the same problem. Is there an aftermarket fork brace available? Since there are numerous bolts to tighten that may affect this, is there a sequence I should follow when tightening?

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I can see if the twist from a crash, but just from normal riding you should not have that problem. Loosen up the stem nut. I would then remove the front wheel and remove the forks from the clamps. Clean the surfaces that are to be clamped good and make sure there is not residue on them from any cleaners. Re-install the forks in the clamps and snug them up (don't torque them down yet). Then re-install the front wheel. This should align the front end up. I would work my way up from the bottom and torque to factory specs with a good torque wrench. This should hold things tight. If not you may have other problems.

I used to have a problem with the forks twisting after a good crash. I bought a new pro-taper top clamp and some good bars and it has only happened once since I put them on. SRC makes a fork brace that will stiffen things up and should help the situation. Not sure if they make one for the CRF230 or not as its fairly new model.

Good luck.

230dirtchick

Dec 7, 2003
Dan, I appreciate the advice. The problem does occur under normal riding conditions over time, as well after a good crash. I will try what you mentioned look into the clamps. Thanks again.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Danman gave you good advice.Sometimes there can be a problem with the steering head adjuster nut not being tight enough.Recomend you have the service manual for this maintenance.Also if one of the tubes was bent from a crash this will make the wheel turn to one side in relation to the handlebars.This happened to my wife's bike after a good crash.I Did what danman said but the front wheel would invariably turn to the right.A mechanic took the forks apart and the tubes were bent.He rotated them in the clamps and said it was obvious in htere arc.Could also put them on a mirror or pane of glass.Try Danman's way first that's probably it.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I'd check with the dealer and get the torque specs for the clamp bolts. Makle sure the bolts are set at the correct torque.

Secondly, the bike came with a pretty good warranty - the paper is in the garage but I think it was 6 months. If all else fails, take it to the dealer and let them look at it. The clamps could be out of spec and oversize.

Top Bottom