crf250 ride reviews

crf250 ride review

any personal crf250 owners out there yet? please post i need a fix.

Moto Squid

Subscriber
The crf250r was just released this morning (11/3) for shipment. Mine'll be here tomorrow and I can't wait :yeehaw: But since I just dislocated my shoulder I'm only going to be able to set it up and not ride it. Then I get to drool all over it for weeks. :(

bikewriter
TT Gold Member

Reged: 10/04/02

Guess I should post a ride report, huh
#757344 - 11/04/03 10:42 PM Reply Quote

Crazy busy at work but I got the chance to go out for about an hour. Mind you, I know full well what new-bike euphoria is. It makes you think your bike is the best no matter what so I'll keep this as objective as can be.

First thing I noticed is the rear suspension's static sag is much less than any bike I've owned. It's almost non-existant. But I set the rear up with 100mm of sag and we'll go from there. Take most bikes off the stand and let them sit, and they squat. The CRF250 doesn't. Maybe it's new-bike stiction. Who knows.

I've had good luck breaking in motors by not babying them. I run them hard but not for more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time. With the cold evening air, the CRF is letting me know it has a good motor. It is not dead down low like I thought it would be. Good oomph in conjunction with the weight. Once you get the rpms up, it has a strong and meaty range.

The bike's motor does not give you the floating sensation like a CRF450 does. You know how the 450 can come alive and spit you off the back in any gear at any time? The CRF250 is not like that in any respect. It does not feel that much lighter relatively speaking than my 450 but it's, what, 17 pounds less.

There is no early sign off or low-end bog. The motor is very good and I'm a believer of "if you don't notice it then it must be good." A lot of times a bike with what seems a killer top end is really a bike with absolutely no low or mid and a decent upper. The CRF250 has the power and torque and rpm and gearing exactly where it should be for a 250 four stroke.

Of course first gear is tall and top gear is low. That's what a mx bike is, right?!!

Handling and fit and all that is typical Honda great. I know for a fact the handling will not be the source of any complaints in turns or jumps or how it acts in midflight.

All in all it is really a great attempt at a "baby CRF450." I think the light weight and robust 250 motor is going to make this a fun and no-nonsense bike for the track and even the occasional tight off-road singletrack.

Moto Squid

Subscriber
I got mine uncrated and started tonight...looks and sounds awesome. Might have to sneak a little test ride when nobody's looking. sshhh don't tell the doc ;)

Yogurt

Subscriber
Please, I hope more people tell us more details about the CRF250. I'm currently selling my '00 CR125 (have been trying to for over a month) to purchase a CRF250. I can't wait any longer, so I think I'm gonna go up to the dealer tomorrow or early next week and put my money down and really get one! I'm so excited, I hope it all works out. But I hope there are more people out there who already have one, and can tell us some long term ride reports. My dealer told me they wouldn't be in until the end of the month, but that was over the phone, the sales rep could be less informed. I'm so excited, this will be my first 4-stroke, hope I like it. Keep the replies coming...

nikki

Moto Junkie
COOOOL Moto Squid!! Now change your signature ;)

djj

Lifetime Sponsor
Illinois CRF250

Picked up my new CRF250 today and went riding at bufflao rock. The bike starts good, the tires suck (for mud and sand), the power is comparable with the 04 YZF250 I rode recently, 1st gear is high for the woods, bike feels like a toy compared to my berg and 450 KTM. All in all I think its going to be a really cool bike :thumb: .
If anyone has questions let me know, if Sunset ridge is open on 11-16-03 I'll be there . My son is getting a new RMZ250 so we'll have a good compaison

just cranked mine out for its first test ride...its my first 4-stroke and I was ALL smiles. NO more clutching it every 10 feet on the moto track. It has awesome power and a really snappy throttle response. VERY instantanious power when you flick the throttle it MOVES!

Danman

Lifetime Sponsor
I went in to get a plug for the beast today and I pull into the honda shop and I see a dude ripping across the parking lot on a CRF. I get inside and there were 2 new ones on the floor. They look nice. The shop is giving a demo ride after the Motorcross races tomorrow at the track. I may bring my gear and get in line. I realy would like the "X" though.

djj what tires do they come with?? I was told 742 frt. and 756 rear. If so, those should work just fine in sand/mud. Check your pressures.

the crf tires are the dunlop d 742 and d756 tires which are intended for intermediate terrain just like the stock tires that would come on any bike... plus you really cant ask for better stock tires than what honda provided... the bike should rip in anything...

jboomer

Subscriber
I can vouch! Unless it's polished blue groove, the tires are great! I wore the edges off in a day of riding (hard pack clay), but they still hook up really well.