powertoolman

Oct 10, 2008
I apologize if this is an over-asked question, but I am about to buy a bike (possibly tomorrow) and I didn't find anything applicable in a quick search of the forum.

I am going to buy a 250, 4-stroke, and just as I thought everything was set to go, I found another bike that has me wondering which way to go. I have been happy with my Honda bikes (XR80, CR125, and CRF150f) so I had been favoring a 2004 CRF250. Today I found a 2004 YZF250 that might be in better (looking) condition for about the same price.

Aside from their physical outward appearance, are there any maintenance or performance concerns with either bike? There seems to be a lot of Yamaha's on the market and almost no Honda's. This could be from one of two reasons: 1) The Honda is so good that no one wants to sell theirs, or 2) The Yamaha is so good that everyone owns one and it is more popular.

I want a strong and reliable bike that I don't need to worry about. I have found a couple of ads for YZF's with trashed engines, but never the same for a CRF. Is one more prone to catastrophic failure than the other?

I am 44 years old and haven't been in the dirt much since I was a teenager, so I am not a hard-core rider, but I do like to play. I ride hard enough to want the larger bike from my 125 or 150, but I would probably crap my pants if I got it more than 5 feet off the ground. :laugh:

Oh, I have done a split-case rebuild on my son's KX80, so I am not incompetent, but I prefer to spend my time riding and not in the shop.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
Get the Yamaha.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Im not an expert. but, the yamaha will have more hardhitting power then the honda but the honda will be more reliable heres why.
The yamaha has a really highrevving high compresion motor this makes more peak horse power but it wears out alot faster.
wich means you will nead to rebuild the motor more often.
The honda has a lower compresion lower revving motor wich means less peak horse power but it will last alot longger.

correct me if im wrong plz.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
2strokesrock said:
Im not an expert. but, the yamaha will have more hardhitting power then the honda but the honda will be more reliable heres why.
The yamaha has a really highrevving high compresion motor this makes more peak horse power but it wears out alot faster.
wich means you will nead to rebuild the motor more often.
The honda has a lower compresion lower revving motor wich means less peak horse power but it will last alot longger.

correct me if im wrong plz.

You are wrong. They both have around 12:1 compression, 13k+ rpm red line, high wearing engines. The yamaha valve train tends to outlast the honda. Maybe more maintenance related than anything? The honda valves have a pretty thin titanium coating that is easily trashed by dirt. It's also easy to install the air filter incorrectly or neglect to clean it for too long. If the yammie valves stretch too far I guess they can actuall drop the valve into the cylinder cuasing that "catastrophic" failure you spoke of. The yammie also runs 5 valves and 2 cams where the honda has 4 valves and 1 cam. The unicam design is simpler to work on, a little cheaper to rebuild when it grenades.

If you want a reliable bike a 250f is probly a bad idea.

Mar 18, 2006
Buy a 250 2 stroke. Don't buy a used 250f! There are many WAY better choices than what you are considering, although the Yamaha might be OK. IF you can get it cheap enough to justify a top end rebuild. A 450f would be a much better choice.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
sorry. I knew I should have kept my mouch shut.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom