Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
If you watch the video they show a tank behind the left number plate. Fuel?

Just wondering how small the main tank is and what kind of distance one will be able to get if they are putting a tank in the back. Think the aftermarket guys will be able to get a tank together that won't shoot the ergos?

Also noticed that the kick stand actully rides "up" like a KTM and doesn't look like a tree catcher like on the XR's! :yeehaw:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Originally posted by Rodzilla
If you watch the video they show a tank behind the left number plate. Fuel?

Could be a radiator catch tank? Hopefully a CRF450X follows. I like the lightweight and killer power of the 450R, but its too MX for my taste.

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
I was atthe honda dealer show. SHARP bike! the tank behind the plate is some sort of reserve tank. They had renthal fat bars on the show bike and i didn't get to ask if this would stay. On the rear fender there is an led tail light.very sleek and nice looking. The ebutton is an added feature too. They did not tell very many differances except lights and e button. can't wait til next fall

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Humai

Hmm, I guess that means upwards of 14,000 to 14,500 rpm peak with what looks externally like a SOHC design. They must have some lightweight rocker technology in there...

Finger followers are common place in F1 and other 16,000+ rpm engine designs. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
The tank behind the left sidepanel is a coolant puke tank, not a fuel tank of any nature.

The Renthals were for the show only. The R&D guys told me that they were looking at the possibility of some sort of aluminum bar but it would depend upon the margins on the bike. Steel bars are cheaper and leave a larger margin. They feel that most riders change the bars anyway so why give up the points?

On the kickstand... It is not actually attached to the frame. It was part of the left footpeg mount, and appeared a little...'cheesy' to me. I wouldn't think that would actually make it to production, but who knows?

Keep in mind that the bike at the show wasn't even a pre-production prototype. I took my knuckles and rapped on the fenders because they just didn't look quite right. They were fiberglass, heck the rear one even had a split in it! I was told that there were no internal engine parts in it, and from what I could tell the radiator was just a shell. While I'm sure that the production version will look like the show bike, the final specs could change in the next year.

Last edited:
B

biglou

Bruce-You're describing my job! Hitting margins, fiberglass/Bondo parts for the photoshoot, don't sit on it, it will break, etc...

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Lou,

It was actually kind of funny, because we never saw either bike even move. During the presentaion the X was raised out of the floor, and the R lowered in on cables. After the presentation the dealers went into the main show hall and neither bike was in place, nor did they show up that night, before we left anyway. That told me that they were the only ones there.

The next day the bikes were in place, but elevated on show stands with signs that asked us not to get on the display or the bikes. Obviously they were just show bikes.

But that's cool. 'Cause they sure were trick looking!!!

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I guess I can just forget about wr250f and the 200exc. Sign me up for "x" model. So how much $$ do you think they will be getting for them? No doubt it will be to much.

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
Hey bruce whaat dealer you from? the show was pretty good but they needed a new sport quad what did u think of the new valkerie

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Piedmont Honda Kawasaki Polaris Cannondale in Salisbury,NC.

the rumor mill was flying about a 450F powered ATV, but no soap huh? The Rune *really* got my boss' attention, he swears he's gonna get one. I'm not so sure about them myself. I don't think the world is ready for a $25,000 Honda with trailing link front suspension! *LOL*

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
04' Crf250x

The new dirt rider mag has a blurp on the 04' 250X,.. looks like honda is coming around. Specs are nearly identical to the crf250 except, fuel capacity - 2.6gal., 18" rear wheel, and e-button. Although this is still all speculation, the photo they show in DR look very trick, on visual inspection you can see the e-starter, 18"wheel, kickstand, headlight/taillight, odo cable, and a slightly different silencer, (possible spark arrester). There is even rumor that the little 'X' may come with a six speed.
Boy,...this stuff just keeps getting better! :aj:

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I just read that article lastnight at Chapters :) Looks like Honda is finally going to make a "woods" bike...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
So any word on whether or not the little X will be green sticker ? And any word on weight ?

If it's green I'd very seriously consider plunking down for one of these little beauties. It's a great looking bike.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Eel:

It says on the Honda website that the 250X will have CARB (California Air Resource Board) compliance, meaning that it will be a green stickie model. I was considering the '03 WR250, but that thing looks like it has an ironing board for a seat (not good for those long enduros/trail rides) and there's no indication (yet) that it will be a green sticker model.

The only downside is that the 250X won't be available for another year and when it becomes available, we'll have to get in a long line to pay a crazy price for it in SoCal.

See the web page below under "What's new" for the note about CARB standards for the 250X.

http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/motorcycles/

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
WOOO HAAAAA !!! That is very exciting. I hope they make a 450 CRF-X too.

Thanks Holeshot !!!!!!! :)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The Honda website says December '03 for the 250X (tentatively).

Last edited:

rooster1713

Oct 24, 2002
hey bruce, or anyone else, do you know when the bike will be hitting the showrooms? I know the website says fall 03 but I've heard others say it will be sooner.

mark

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
My information is no different than anyone else's (I don't have any "insider" contacts), but it depends on which bike you're talking about. CRF250F is listed as available in the fall of '03 and the CRF250X in Dec '03.

I've heard the same rumor about the CRF250F possibly being available during the summer.

But I have a second cousin that has a buddy who works in a Honda shop who's wife is the half sister of Mr. Honda's great grandaughter (twice removed) and he says it's true (maybe). ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom