bpace07

Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm looking around for a used CRF250X.

I talked to 2 potential sellers, 1 is an 06 the other is an 07.
The guy with the 06 says there were many changes made to the 07
he mentioned a different carb etc...

Is there a big difference in the 2 model years?
Would it generally be worth another 600 for the 1 year difference?
He claims he has put SS valves in it.

Any suggestions are welcome.
I'd even consider another brand if its in the same category.
Mostly trail riding.
6'-0, 190 lb.

Thanks,

Last edited:

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
If he has bills to proof his point yeah generally a younger bike is better than a older one.

I would wonder if either of the owners keeps a maintenance log, how dirty is the airfilter. When was the last time to have serviced linkage etc. Hourmeter, how frequently ridden and so on.

bpace07

Jun 21, 2012
I went to look at the 06 yesterday evening.
Lots of wear in the footpeg area which is one thing I look for
when considering a bike. Had lots of paperwork, receipts,
Honda service manual a box of parts, new rear tire etc...

It started instantly but went dead a couple times, he turned the idle up
then it idled a little rough so I figured it was just cold. I got close to the
clutch side of the engine to listen to it and noticed it was already hot, as if he had just run it before we met.

It had a super loud "silencer" which made it hard to hear the engine itself.
Tried covering the exhaust a couple seconds to hear better and I could hear very noticeable noise that sounded like a rough bearing some whining and chain noise around the timing chain/ water pump area. <br>How much internal engine noise is normal on this engine?

After it idled a minute I rode it down the road about 200 yds through all the gears, it ran good at that point until I let off the gas and it kept going. Pulled in the clutch and it was idling 4-5000 rpm.

Took it back to the truck and tried to adjust the idle but there was no
setting that would make it idle decent, It either died or idled 2-3k, no in between.
Owner said probably old gas etc....
Im thinking at least a stopped up pilot jet whic should be an easy fix but the noises had me too worried plus I would have to buy a silencer.

So I passed on that one.

The 07's owner said he had raced it a few times which is a red flag to me.
So, back to looking around.
Anyone know of a good bike in central Alabama??

Thanks for your input, looking forward to hear other suggestions.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I think having raced the bike a few times should be better than the guy not maintaining his bike.

Those bikes make a lot of noise, valve train, cam chain and all those things in an alum housing has to make some sound. But you did well to turn away the first '06 er.

Bearings and valves all can be fixed and its way cheaper if you do it before those explode. If 2 or 4 stroke tear the engine down, regrease the linkage. Do suspension, forks and shock, see if it is Ok for you clickerwise and spring wise.

Don't take word for it if someone just tells you he just did the topend. No receipts just a BS story.

Top Bottom