GOT DIRT

Dec 27, 2006
they say press type is better
i use a clip type needs to be replaced every 300 mile wears the clip. should i by the press tool and use press type

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Go with the clip type, chances are you will replace the chain & sprockets long before it becomes and issue. It also makes maintenance a lot easier.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You might need to take a file and widen the rear chain guide if it's rubbing on the chain that much. The bracket/mount might also be bent inwards towards the sprocket which could cause a lot of rubbing on the outboard side of the chain. Something isn't right, you shouldn't have to replace the clip that often if at all during a chain's useful lifetime.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Press fit doesn't really refer to the type of master link you have. Both clip type and rivet type master links can have a press-fit. That simply means that the holes for the pins are exactly the same or ever so slightly smaller than the pin diameter, which means that the plate won't slip over the pins without the help of some pressing.

Press-fit master links have the most integrity, be they clip type masters or rivet type.

I have seen many times where folks recommend to just file the hole a bit so it will slip on easy...thing is you will make a weak link when you do this, decreasing that particular links tensile strength by mucho. The press fit is done for a purpose.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well there ya' go, learn something new every day. Thanks Jaybird!

Top Bottom