LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
We decided to catch the LV SX on pay-per-view last night, pretty entertaining racing. One interesting aspect of the race was the CRF450 holeshot with Voss as the rider. It was a last minute add, but the CRF450 absolutely smoked the field in heat 2 and the final. It wasn't even close. On the bike is going to be very competetive at the nationals.

Clearly Voss wasn't prepared and couldn't compete with the top level riders, but the bike's acceleration was awsome. In heat 2 the cameras tracked the Honda the whole race even though it finished 4th or 5th and it was MGrath's heat, ie: nice Honda comercial.

There are already 3 deposits (out of 6 bikes) at the local dealer although no one has actually seen or riden the production bike. I guess I'll be #4 come Tuesday...

By the way, RC won, McGrath was 2nd and the Honda/Voss DFN'd.

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
So do you think that the new Honda is going to be able to take RC of his outdoor throne? Man I hope not, that would suck for RC.RC is the man!:cool:

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
The rider DNF not the bike. I cant wait for the CRF250 :) It looks like Honda got it right the first time around, as normal :)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Ah!!! Pitbull.
RCs contaract is up this year!!!! I'd bet that next year, unless the rules change, RC will be ON the new Honda F!!!! McGrath will move to the Yamaha F, and every one else will be eating 4-stroke roost.

Also remember Voss was a priviteer just two weeks ago and has only had a little over a week to get use to the new bike. In that time he learned to to whip everyone on the holeshot, everytime he rode. And rode it well enough to qualify for the final first try (not in a semi or LCQ) This is also after they had to detune the beast a little because he wasn't use to the power. I expect they will change the rules, at least dropping the limit to 400. But if not it may be a new paradyme in SX.

Last edited:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Hey MoO_coW, Honda is the one who broke me of buying first-year bikes. I went out and bought the first xr350 in 1983. :( It looked good on paper!!

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
that would be sweet if RC did move to Honda and ride the new 4stroke, but I really can't see MC getting off the 2Stroke in the supercross. But I hear they are offereing him alot of money, honda that is. Anyway,one way or another, I just hope RC stays on top for awhile.
LATER:cool:

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
Actually....

RC has done everything except sign the contract. Honda is giving him something like 8 million dollars. His contract is for 5 million and he is getting a 2 million dollar signing bonus and another million for something else that I cant remember right now. RC is pretty much guaranteed to ride red next year. I don't know if it is on the CRF or not though.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
CRF 450

I don't care who rides what brand next year, but as for the CRF 450 it did look faster than the other bikes and seem to have more torque, My opinion was it could stay on the throttle longer than the 2strokes & pull harder. Voss wasn't the best rider to put on it, but he is improving & looked great. I think the 450 will be almost unfair, like the yzf 250 is in the 125's. If they can't run with the same displacement, then they shouldn't be running. Its just not right to double the size and make it legal just because it is a 4 stroke.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
What was funny, was when he stalled the CR450F, the camera's quickly went to a different shop and never did show it again. I was wanting to see how many kicks it took to get it started. I don't think he ever got it started again.

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
I bet the new Hondas will be ridden mainly outdoors like the 426's. The only 426 I see in SX is Ferry's factory bike. I guess the weight does make a difference on a SX track at that level of competition.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
factory bike for a year

Each factory (Yam, Hon. etc.) is allowed one year to run a full "factory" four stroke. After that, they must comply with the production rules the AMA sets. The AMA has implemented this rule to encourage the development of four strokes.

The first Yamaha four stroke that Henry rode was a factory bike, with only a handful in existance. It was rumored to be worth $400,000 (although I don't see how you can put a meaningful price on it). The production models and the bikes Henry rode after that first year were considerably different.

The factory CRF450R appears to be very close to the production model (a departure from Yamaha's strategy), but it's a full on factory bike.

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
I remember a few years back reading that the factories could get about 52 hp out of a 250 while the aftermarket guys, Noleen, FMF.... could get around 49. The stock 450 is claiming 54. That is a big power advantage and you could definately see it on the holeshot. I think if Voss had a couple weeks on the bike there may have been a few suprises. I think the outdoors will be pretty interesting. I would keep an eye on Hughes!

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
If the rule has been around a long time truespode, I think they should at least get some bikes together and maybe run some tests, like Nascar does (maybe I watch too much Nascar) If they can't come up witha fair way to test them like Nascar does they could at least pull 10 Pro riders and get opinions on which one has an advantage and make some changes, maybe they could have a restrictor plate in the exhaust on the YZF's heheheheheh.

backtoracin

Mar 5, 2001
I was at the Vegas SX, and yes the 450 looked great. Its loud, and is really fast. The first lap in the main, Voss had the lead until the whoop section, where he sucked in comparasion to McGrath who sliced through them like butter. The 450 rocked, up until what looked like Voss messed his wrist or arm up. I believe he was running in 4th or 5th when that happened. All in all, it was nice to see another 4 stroker added to the mix. Its fast, but looks like a monster to hold on to. Also, its much louder than the 426, cant wait to see them around the local tracks. To bad McGrath spun out, he was fast, really fast.

Nasty

May 4, 2001
Hey guys yes the honda will be fast but yamaha who has been in the 4 stroke motocross bike buiseness for many years,is upping the yz 426 to a 450.
I have my sources.And if it is a full on factory bike how could it be slow.
When the production model comes out,that is when I for one will say fast or slow.

padrutt199

May 22, 2001
4-strokes arn't good they are going to outlaw 2-strokes thats why yamaha made the yz-f,to see if they are quik enough.yamaha and honda will have the best bikes when it happens unles kawi and suzuki have some thumpers there working on, so dont by the 4-strokes unless you want to ruin the fun in the sport.

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by padrutt199
4-strokes arn't good they are going to outlaw 2-strokes thats why yamaha made the yz-f,to see if they are quik enough.

I think the writing has been on the wall for quite a while now. Two smokers are on their way OUT. Nothing in this world is going to stop it unless someone can develop a two cycle engine that can burn at close to 100% efficiency. Look at two cycle watercraft, where are they? They have been banned from countless waterways because they leave 50% of their fuel in the water. Face the reality of the situation, 4 Strokes are going to take over completely within the next few years.:think

Originally posted by padrutt199
so dont by the 4-strokes unless you want to ruin the fun in the sport.

I really do not think that a 4-stroke will ruin the fun of the sport. How do you quatify this statement? What is the difference in the level of fun between 4 and 2 strokes? Please enlighten me 'O Wise One, I wish to learn. As far as I can tell, I have the same amount of joy tearing up a hill on a big 4 as I do on my big 2. The only real difference is the explosion when my 480 hits in the power-band:scream: and makes me hold on for dear life.

Well, I'm off to pick up a thumper.

Top Bottom