ken-crf

Oct 23, 2003
Im trying to decide which 4 stroke I wanna get. I started out with a XR250. Then realized I like Motox more that trail riding, so I traded for a YZ250. Been riding the YZ for a year and really miss the 4 stroke power when Im climbing. Been seeing plenty of 4 strokes tearing up the track and thought it might be a good move for me to go with the CRF450 because it would also do better on the trail than the 2 stroke YZ.

The problem is I dont know if the CRF450 would be too much bike for me. Im 6ft 180lbs. I can handle my 2 stroke YZ250 pretty good, but its got tons of power to spare on the track as it is. I wonder if I would be happy with the 4stroke CRF250?

I know they say the 450 4 stroke is in the same class as the 2stroke 250.

Anyone have any personal experience with this??

Thanks! -Ken

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
I had the some problem you do. My CR250 was more than enough on the track, but didn't have the grunt I wanted to get up nasty hills on the trail.

To solve the problem I bought a CR500. It will still get around a track, and also manages to have enough power to climb hills. A CRF450 would have been my 2nd choice. I'm 6'01", 165lbs.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Ken, I ride a Euro 250 - GasGas XC250. I rode both the ('03) YZ250 and ('04) CRF450 last week. My impressions for both were "whoa this thing is fast" (except I didn't use the word whoa!). Bottom line: If you can handle the YZ250, you can certainly handle the CRF450. The CRF was a bit stronger on the bottom, but both were very nice bikes and felt great. I was suprised at how light the CRF felt.

ken-crf

Oct 23, 2003
Just thought I would let you all know I went down to the dealer and test drove the CRF450 and the KX250F. I ended up buying the KX250F!

Spent the weekend at the track and I am EXTREMELY happy with the KX250F!! This bike is exactly what I have been looking for!! Its so well balanced for jumping and the power is a cross between an XR250 and a 2 stroke 250. (its got some pop) I can really push the KX250F where as with the CRF450 I wouldnt be able to handle the insane power as well. (hey...Im not an expert racer)

The KX250F is FUN!!!!!

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
I too bought a yz250 this past summer. I put a few mods on it and realized that the thing just tires me out so much and I can't use all the power on a track...for fun riding on trails it was ok, but when I had to punch it around every corner to clear doubles, it was a handfull of power...

I started riding my dads yz250f and that thing was awesome! I could use all the power and hit all the jumps that I could on my yz250...except that I actually was faster on the 250f if I was riding multiple laps. So I decided I wanted a 450 four stroke (I can ride the 250f whenever I want). I did tons of research and thought that I wanted the CRF or SX 450...and last on my list was the yz450f...After riding an 02CRF,03CRF,04CRF, and an 03YZF---I took the 03yz450f. All stock except for 4oz flywheel weight and Tag clamp/bars, one larger tooth sprocket....the thing is so nice! After taking it to the track I was so glad that I stuck with Yamaha on this one. The ergonomics were familiar and I know how to work on them. I thought it was going to have a "violent" hit, but I experienced no such thing. The 4 speed tranny is really nice too. Forks are wimpy though. The YZ has more space than the CRF.

OK...as far as 250f's and 450f's go....the 450 power is managed very easy, it will be easy for you to ride, especially if you can handle the yz250. Go with the 450, you will be happy with it. The power delivery is so smooth compared to a 2 stroke it will make your riding really easy, no more clutch work, just lug around a corner in 2nd or 3rd and roll on the gas and overshoot those doubles! Oh yeah, with the 450 the power is so smooth that the hardes part for me to get used to is not overshooting jumps, you don't really realize how fast you are going. You will soon learn to whip and fly low. The 250f I often top out on power and need more...but it is a really fun bike too. Try riding a few. I personally like the yzf over the crf. sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps...I know what it is like trying to figure out what bike to get..its a big investment.

see ya

Top Bottom