burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
I'm torn between the new CRF250 or the CRF450! I am 5'10" and about 200lbs. After getting a CRF230 in Jan. and wanting to move up to a MX'r ( I know I'm to big for the 230). If I get the 250 will I want more power in 3 months and wish I had gotten the 450? The CRF230 seems to have enough power for the riding I do but the suspension just doesn't cut it. one atvantage is that the CRF450 in availible now. I am not a racer but do ride trace about 50% of the time. IT IS MAKING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I'm 210 lbs and ride a 250 2s...Us bigger guys need the bigger bikes that we can lug around. I have heard that (never been on a 125, but believe it) you have to ride the 125cc class bikes alot faster to keep 'em on the pipe.

I know that your looking at 4s so keeping on the pipe won't be an issue, but some of those 125 guys are FAST! If you ever do start racing you may appreciate what a 250 or a 450 can do for you more, and at least then you won't be looking for more power for a while!

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
The 250 will have plenty of power for you unless you're doing major hills. One of the fastest DRN guys out here used to ride a yz250f & he was prolly around 260 at the time. I guarantee you would not keep up with him. I think th 250 will keep you satisfied for a few years.

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
The crf230 is basically an xr engine correct? If that's true than the crf250 will probably have twice the power that your 230 had.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
While the CR450 is a blast to ride, it's also a full-on race bike and weighs more. I'd vote for the CR250F as it looks like it'll be a blast to ride and will definitely have enuf power. Since getting the holeshot isn't your main concern (you're not racing), the 250 should be more than enuf. Not to mention more fun in general.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
thanks for the help guys but I couldn't hold off any longer, I picked up the new '04 CRF450R on Friday on killed myself on Sunday! It has more power then any human should ever need! I love the bike but it is going to take a bit to get used to it.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Right On! :thumb: That is really cool! :aj:

One thing about it...you won't be needing another bike for a while! :laugh: You didn't get hurt on sunday did you? Don't do that! Especially after all these guys recomended 250s to you! :think: That would make me feel really bad!

Well, keep us up to date, and ride safe! Remember...Stupid Hurts! :o

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
Funny you should ask... I got bucked off the back and tweeked my back! The bike is great and the suspension is awsome! I going to take it easy this weekend. Some people shouldn't be allowed to buy a bike like that!

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Naaa...you'll get used to it! :laugh: I got a new CR 250 this summer after not having ridden in 10 yrs, so far I have been able to clear a 50 ft table top, working on a 60-70 footer, just recently grew the marbles to start working on doubles (don't know why but that's a huge mental issue for me) and so far I've fractured the tip of my thumb, threw my lower back out, skinned up my elbows (stupid hurts), broke my clutch lever, brake lever, and know have to replace my pipe...if the stinkin' thing ever gets here! ...Oh yea, handle bars too! But you know what? I've loved every last second of it! wouldn't trade all the pain and parts for any other bike! :) (slower ones that is) :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom