jcraig

Feb 27, 2004
What are the main differences between the yzf and the crf?
I plan on getting a new bike in about 2 months and I'd like to get some opinions from people who have one or the other and do some of the same riding as me. First of all I'm 23 years old, 6'6" and 220 lbs and I am used to open class power. I had to sell my 2000 KTM 380 about a year and a half ago to help pay for school, but I can't stand it any longer and I have to get back out there. My only complaint about the KTM was when it came to the availability and cost of parts compared to the Japanese bikes. I mainly ride in the socal desert area and on local tracks every once in awhile. I also do a lot of jumping and due to my wieght I plan on getting new springs and valving done as well. BTW any big guys such as myself posting around here? Also how does the power compare to the 380 if any of you know?

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
I have an 04' CRF450 and am about 210lbs and it has plenty of power! You might find with some adjustments that the stock spring are good already.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
What about a KTM 300? Power is probably more like a 380 than the 450s, a lot smoother too.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am your weight and a little shorter. I personally think the CRF is more electric in its power delivery. If you rode both you would probably think that the YZF has more power - in all actuality it is the delivery of the power that makes it "feel" this way.. Put them side by side on the pavement and do a roll on and you will see they are VERY close!! If you want two stroke type hit go with the YZ if you want TOTAL electric power I would go Honda!! Something else to consider is the 4 speed tranny of the Yam compared to the 5 speed Honda - IMHO, the 5 speed makes a ton more sense then the 4! I have spent a LOT of time on the CRF and an ample amount on the YZF and if I were going in the Desert and were leaving my KX500 home, it would be a CRF (with the oversized oil tank) for me!

jcraig

Feb 27, 2004
thanks for all the input, it helps to hear what the bikes are like from actual riders than from reading some marketing agencies write-ups or listening to salesmen.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom