my250

Mar 19, 2002
Ok guys, I know there's probably a million threads on this but ..... I just bought a new 2004 CRF450. I'm new to 4 strokes. I pick it up Dec 29th ..... Merry Christmas. You know where I'll be New Year's Eve. LOL .... in the garage. Actually, I spoke to the wife really nice and I'm gonna bring my new bike in the house. Yeah, she's awesome.

So, the bike will be arriving in a crate; it was a better deal that way, believe me. Tires, plastics, handlebars and other small items will have to be assembled, I know. But should I take the shock arm, linkage and steering stem apart and grease THEM!!

Guess I should get a service manual too, eh (sorry, live in Canada)

Suggestions would be appreciated

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
Here is part of the list...
1. Take linkage apart, lube well, put back together.
2. Pull swingarm bolt, lube well, put back in.
3. Oil air filter, check air boots around carb and intake, make sure there tight.
4. Take steering stem apart, lube bearings, put back.
If you don't do this know, you will do it later and kick your self around your garage because your linkage bearings will be shot, your swingarm bolt will be froze inplace, steering stem bearings will be bad, and you will have sucked enough dirt and sand to build your own track. :(
The rest of the list will come with many other pieces of advice.

Good choice on a new bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aj:

my250

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks Shifting.

Is it just as easy as doing the assembly and then just firing it up. I guess i'd have to tinker with the idle/air screw. What else ?

What other set-up tasks should i be looking at ? Anybody ?

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Put anti-seize on the chain adjuster bolts, brake caliper pin threads and any bolts that mount the shrouds directly to the gas tank. If the inserts inside the gas tank spin, you're SOL :uh: !! Make sure you check the spokes before the first ride and immediately after the first ride.

Out of the crate the bike has about 200ml of engine oil and 200 ml of tranny oil . . . just enough to keep things wet. Drain both comparments and re-fill to the spec in the manual. The radiators should be filled with coolant right out of the crate.

Top Bottom