CRF450R front forks dives when taking tight turns

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I have a crf450R that I share with my son.
180lbs and he is 145lbs.
I have .49's springs in, anti bottoming cones, and lowered the oil 15cc from stock to get full travel for me and also for my son on fast GP tracks.

I also have 20mm offset triple clamps.

When I take tight turns it feels as if the forks are diving
way fast and then tucks, at that point I fall off the bike.

If I put more oil in then I never end up using the entire travel
and my son complains that the forks are too stiff. but when i put more oil in the forks seem not to dive but I never end up using the entire travel.

What can I do?
Should I move the fork tubes down the clamps some?

I try to run the clickers at 12 out at all times.

Thanks,

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Adding oil wont help the feel when going into corners, its for bottoming control mainly.Those springs should not let it dive much at all.Maybe something(dirt) is holding the valving open and so you are loosing damping.It will be hard to make it ride well for a 145lb rider and a 180lb rider but you should adjust the compression softer when he rides it as its makes sence to at least try to give him a softer ride than you need.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
I have heard offset clamps are terrible on Hondas, and do that. Here is where we can go from here, although this is going to be difficult since you both are so different in weight, but what sag are you running in the rear? It should be around 100mm, so I guess try to find a medium between you and him, maybe 95mm for him and 105mm for you kind of thing. Then, where do you have the forks set. I think stock is the little line is at the edge of the top of the triple clamp. That is where I have mine. Last question, is it pushing, or diving. I am wondering if your front tire is pushing out, and it makes you feel like it is diving. Explain the diving I guess. I am guessing you are one of my customers? :cool: Sound familiar on weight and stuff that you explained... Good luck, let us know But I say dump the triples and go with stock...

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I run sag at my weight at 103 so that when my son sits on it it will squat a little for him also. I put some Forsylk on the forks to soften the initial travel for my son when he is on the bike. I do not get a push when on the outside of the berm, the issue is tight turns when I sit on the tank, the forks dive, which then seem to be tucking, which them makes me fall over. I improved this in the past with 1-2 cc extra oil added in, but now I am trying to make the forks good for my son and took out ~7cc of oil and now have the tucking problem - atleast when I am on it.

I guess its tough to make a bikes forks good for two diff wt of riders.

Everywhere else on the track the forks are great - best ever!
spokes574

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Have you adjusted the compression clickers? One or two turns could make all the difference.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
One more thing I want to run past you. You do know the fork compression clicker is on the top, and not on the bottom? I am just making sure, not saying you don't know, just checkin. That is kinda messed up. I typed it wrong before, edited, what a dummy I am. Anyways top compression, bottom rebound. :bang:

Last edited:
Top Bottom