CRF450R Suspension; Is it Progressive or Straight?

RAR

Nov 30, 2001
I weigh approx. 250lbs with gear, and I'm really starting to dislike my rear shock. I want to install a straight rate 5.6 spring on it but I've read that the stocker is progressive. I've also read that if the spring is progressive then mosty likely the valving is too. I was about to order a straight rate spring when I read another post about straight rate springs on progressive valving. Apparently they do not work well together. Is it a bad idea to install a straight rate spring on the CRF450R's shock if it has progressive valving, or do I really need to dish out $700 for a complete suspension job? I'm only a beginner and ride mostly MX with no major big air jumps.

Last edited:

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
mister rar
your bike doesnot have progressive springs .and does not need progressive springs .
.50 kg fork springs and 5.8 rear spring would be a good choice for mx riding
sag at 95mm . as for the valving work use a repitable shop that has plenty of experience with the 450 .:)

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
I would go a little stiffer than a 5.8 (straight rate) on the rear. One of the biggest problems with that shock is rebound valving. Spend the money on a rear revalve with stiffer spring. I've seen most of the rebound/mid-valve pistons loose in the forks so a good service without revalve but stiffer springs will work good for you for now.

doc

Top Bottom