CRF450R vs. YZ426

I know you guys don't believe a word we say, but the Honda CRF450 is a great bike although it isn't perfect. Personally I think the Yamaha is faster and turns better. The Honda is a lot lighter has a good easy to ride and start motor. The handling and suspension are also very good.

If had to spend my own hard earned money I'd go with the Honda. It's a lot easier to make a bike turn than it is to shed 16.5 pounds.

On our scale the YZ426 weighs 251 and the CRF weighs 234.5.

Sincerely,

Tim Olson
Motocross Action
Root of the problem since 1973.

I know, I know, pick me, pick me!

Perhaps Olson just knows that people will flam him for saying the CR450F isn't completly flawless......GASP!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
Originally posted by Tolson

If had to spend my own hard earned money I'd go with the Honda. It's a lot easier to make a bike turn than it is to shed 16.5 pounds.

i doubt that it will happen but if we see this in print, you just might gain a little credibility.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Tim,
Why not be the root of the solution? :think This statement demonstrates the overall negativity that MXA has portrayed for years. Pull Jodys head out of Kalifornia. There's a much larger world of MX other then then movieland!

Print factual information that your readership can relate to outside of Kalifornia. Hell, print what you posted here about the CR450F when you write up the test story, you may find it refreshing! Hint, what I would spend my money on.

If you guys ran your business the same as you did 15 or 20 years ago in the "real" world, pun intended. You wouldn't have a job. I know I wouldn't. I don't run my business the same as I did a year ago. It's called keeping ahead of the curve. You need to look at the surveys you conduct each year in your magazine, and on your web site when you have contest. Does it really matter if I have a BMX bike? Survey's can tell a lot, but only if you ask better questions. Many of these questions are turning 15 years old. Do your really know your customer? How is your readership compared to last year? Is your business growing? :think

MX has changed a lot in the last 20 years. MXA has not. I'm not talking about changing your principals on some types of advertisements. I'm more concerned with factual information in test of bikes and products.

To say the least your bike test format is very long in the tooth. Question One: How fast is it? Question Two: Hows the suspension? Etc. Please come up with a different format!

One last comment. How come Jody Weisel doesn't post on DRN? Are you doing his dirty work as the song says? Or is he the lurking type?

Sincerely,

Sawblade

Vic

***** freak.
Tim- Thanks for the info (really).:) This post actually belongs in the 'Product Reviews' forum, but I suspect you'd need a flame suit in there, too.:D

CR Swade

Subscriber
Thanks Tim,

I am a bit of a black sheep around here-I actually subscribe to and still enjoy MXA, Jody's Box (re-prints and all) and use the tech articles. My 01 CR uses the MXA jetting with excellent results and no muffler spooge (although my slide is a 5.5 instead of 5.0 cut)

I still think ad budget plays a role in product eveluation, but hey in this imperfect world with the tragedies going on as of yesterday, I can live with it.

Good job MXA-whoever doesn't like that, well that's their problem!

:D

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
Originally posted by Wade

Good job MXA-whoever doesn't like that, well that's their problem!

actually, it's mxa's problem.

when we don't like it, our solution is to stop reading it. then it becomes their (mxa's) problem.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
I gotta give Tim credit for coming in here and having a sense of humor!

Like Senior says, anything and everything having to do with MXA usually ends up here, so he probably figured he'd make it easier on the mods.;)

Now, if I see those words in print, I will be impressed.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Move it to the Thumper forum!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Originally posted by Offroadr
Move it to the Thumper forum!
Bring it on :p

I think the Yamaha is faster
As a tester/editor for a major magazine shouldn't you KNOW if it's faster. I don't know maybe I'm off base but wouldn't measuring the acceleration be more useful than guessing?

It's a lot easier to make a bike turn than it is to shed 16.5 pounds.
YOU can figure out how to make it turn when Honda could not?

<mod edit>
You should stick to motocross sock shootouts.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the post. I apprecate the info.

Jeeez guy's no wonder he posts on the Flame Board! :think