CRF50F or KTM Junior/Senior Adventure

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
My son has a kdx50 that he rides around the yard. We went racing with it last weekend and didn't have any problems with the bike, keyword is the bike. Son had several issues that we are addressing as he's ready. Btw, he just turned 5 and weighs 40 lbs. He is about 43" tall. The kdx and the crf fit him good now. We have never tried any KTM's.

The question is if my son continues with mx racing, should I get him a crf50f or one of the ktms. The hondas have a lot of hop up potential but they don't have the suspension of the orange bikes. Also, how much can you do to the crf's before they are illegal for AMA races?

Disclaimer: My son is not ready for a racing 50 (KTM, Cobra, Lem, etc) right now. This would be several months away. He could handle the Honda now but already has the Kawi.

Sean Hilbert

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 30, 2001
Of couse, I think your son would be best off with a Cobra PW3-50 (beginner race bike). Rather than turn this into a spam, if you want more detail please email me...I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have...

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The Honda is a cute little beginners bike, but it is very heavy.

If he is even slightly serious, I would try something else.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You should e-mail Sean by all means.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Sean, I troll here too you should let me spam :laugh: anyway go check out www.cobramotorcycle.com and see the pw3. with the addition of the new throttle and the power limiters it is a good choice for a beginner.

As far as what can you do before being illegal for AMA the answer is basiaclly nothing. You can change bars, bar mounts, foot pegs and air filters/jetting. This will still leave you with a 3 HP ill handling bike. They have an AMA race class for these bikes but the bike just beats the crap out of the kids. the suspension is just not for racing and jumps.

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
Hi Theroy:

In our house, our 4yr old has the KDX50 and the '02 Mini Adventure side by side. The mini adv. has that adjustable seat height where at the lowest setting is one inch taller than the KDX50's highest seat height. The move to this bike is not going to be so great.

He's 40" tall right now, yet I had to shave his KDX50 seat down 2" just to have his toes touch the ground (now that he's off the training wheels). I expect that our KDX will still fit him until he's past six years old. But it's his starter bike, and when he's mastered the basic stuff, he'll probably be on his KTM, seat cut down I reckon.

When we go out to ride, I use the KDX to let him work on starting/stopping and turning / U turns from a stop. This can get tiring for him, so , I put him on the mini adv and have him ride in circles to have some fun, to get a feel for the way the KTM rides and handles. Granted, his toes are nowhere close to the ground right now, so I have to catch him when it's time for him to stop.

The KTM mini adv is not too aggressive, but just as light as the KDX50, which I like. The XR50 is also a great bike, but for a 4-6yr old, I think lightweight has to rank pretty high in the priority. Later when they have grown up more and they are stronger, weight plays less of an important factor. The XR50 is a bit on the heavy side and I think they will be a slave to the weight.

We have a pro jr A/C in the garage too. So I do know what you mean about your child "not being ready" for the amount of power a racing 50cc has. I don't feel comfortable pulling out the pro jr. to step him up to. It is a better "move up to" from a Mini Adventure, not from a KDX50.

Last edited:

Top Bottom