Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
ive recently been riding my kx 250 in the state forest, its a mix of trails and fire roads, but i was wondering if there is any way to smooth out a 2 stroke so it wont break up when cruising at a steady throttle position. it doesnt break up like it is cutting out, its just like the power is on and off while at a steady throttle position. its hard to explain but im sure you guys know what im talking about. can this be jetted out or is it the nature of the 2 stroke?

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Ehhh, not much you can do with jettin. Maybe if you stepped it up a hair richer on the needle clip that might help, but you may run into overly rich issues if you go too far.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What you are feeling is the power valve 'hunting' between wanting to open, but when you don't give it more throttle, it slows down again. You never notice it on the track or trail, because you don't hold steady part throttle.

BTW, if you do some high speed blasts on the fire roads or long dirt roads, be careful using engine braking only to slow you down. Hot two stroke motors, high rpm and closed throttle (no cooling fuel & lurbricating oil) don't get along too well. I learned the hard way.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Good call Dave. That makes good sense. Not sure if kx's have pv adjustment, but my rm250 did. You may be able to reduce the tension so it opens sooner to avoid the cruisin speed surging. Just know that it will move the hit down to a lower rpm and that may not be something you want.

Top Bottom