erblr

Jun 1, 2000
One of my friends dropped his ct90 off at my house and said "fix it"...."Easy," I thought.... Well, I still cant quite nail it down... It will start with the choke on, but if I disengage the choke, it dies... In fact I can use the choke as a throttle as I open and close it... the choke fully closed makes the engine run almost wide open... I checked for air leaks around the manifold, but found nothing... Should I soak the carb in something unspeakable? please help... By the way, this bike sat for a long time.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hey is that location Wright-Pat? Great air museum. Never stationed there myself, but my bro-in-law was there for a few years.

Anyway, my neighbor had a similar situation with his Trail 90. He did a carb clean-up (I think he replaced the float bowl needle too) and it worked.

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
The one I used to ride had a knob on the carb labeled "pull over 10000 ft." to lean out the mixture. If it has this I'd check to make sure it's not out, and that the o-rings or seals haven't disintegrated.

I won't laugh, those things earned their place in history. Check out ebay, they always get quite a few bids.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
erbir.

Check your pilot jet. The pilot jet is the small jet that sits next to the main jet. It will sit down in a recess and will have a screwdriver slot on top. Take a small screwdriver and remove it. Hold it up to a light and you should be able to see light thru it. The pilot jet has a very small hole in it and is easily clogged. If it is clogged, soak it in some carb cleaner or replace it. This is the jet that controls the low speed and idle circuit.

Also, remove the air adjustment screw and blow air thru the hole. Air should come out of the pilot jet recess hole when you do this. Like mtngoat said, soak the whole carb in some carb cleaner.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

Last edited:

erblr

Jun 1, 2000
I feel like Ringo "a little help from my friends" Starr... I will try all of these ideas.. and yes, it is Wright Patterson Air Force Base...Opps, here comes the General!....back to work.

Top Bottom