CT-90 need some advice

riche

Oct 13, 2002
I did a search on ct90 and ended up reading about all you guys that loved that bike. Someone gave me a 78 in ok shape but I can't get any spark. I probably need a manual on this because it has points/condensor, coil and I think a rectifier. I ohmed out the coil and rectifier just to see if I had a circuit and it was'nt blown. Those had continuity and the points look in good shape,I don't know the gap. One time I accidently kicked the engine over with my hand while holding the coil , damn I got juiced. Soo, It can shock me but not the plug 'what gives' . If any of you guys have any experience with this little fun bike I could sure use some advise. Thanks Rich

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
If the coil is making proper voltage, the problem has to be after the coil - check the plug wire, cap, and spark plug itself. You can get little plug wire testers at auto parts stores for a couple dollars that should do the job. Another thought: the coil may have been grounded through your body when you held it, but not getting a good ground when it's mounted on the frame, so make sure the ground is clean. Good luck!
PS Not sure the exact spec. for plug gap on the CT90. My XL100 (77 model ) uses .020" and works well.

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
With that old bike I'd file the points, sand the inner flywheel & replace the condenser. Then give it a try. Also check the spark plug cap some of them old bikes had screw ON’s that came loose. Good luck

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…