pryor

Oct 21, 2006
I have a yamaha ct2 175 thats been heavly modified, the bike runs great & is ridiculously fast for a old 175. I cant keep clutches in it, I am on 3rd clutch 2 used and one new, I have tried stiffer springs and differnt trans oil, I dont use clutch to shift and never fan it. It starts to slip in higher gears when it hits the power band. Any help would be appreciated.

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
CT2 clutches were pretty indestructible in their day. However if you have a unit that has gone through multiple sets of clutches the "pressure plate" that covers the clutch discs and the bottom of the clutch basket also wear out due to clutch slippage. The only real cure is to get a new clutch basket and a new pressure plate.

I never had much problem with any clutch as I almost never use it except to start and to stop. Most of my shifts are clutch-less, just a micro blip of the throttle and I shift, no clutch required.

OriginalDirt

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
What are you using for oil in the clutch/transmission?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
The first two clutches I ran 40w gear oil made for heavy equipment trans and diffs, its high quality stuff ment for use with clutches, and I have lots of it. After the first two I used brand new disks,a different cage that looked like new and stiffer springs from a mx250. For trans oil I used 80w-85 made for bikes dont remember brand but was in red bottle and was recomended by shop owner.I have ran the 40w in my old yamahas for years and never had a problem before. This last clutch lasted longer but gave up after a hard morning ride. I never use clutch and have never had a problem with a clutch before.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Sounds like something is not right mechanically. Yeah, the pressure plate or basket could be worn.

Some other things to check:
Do you have a manual showing thickness specs for the plates?
Are the plates you are installing the proper thickness and material?
Have you replaced the metal plates too or just the fiber plates?
Are they (the metal plates) the proper thickness or are they worn out?
Is there something amiss with the actuation that would not allow the clutch to fully engage?
Too little free-play at the lever?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
I replaced the steel plates, basket & fiber discs with used ones from a real low mileage motor the second time, then the third time I replaced the fibers with new yamaha parts & used the stiffer springs, this worked good just playing, when I started riding it hard the clutch started to slip in 4th then 3rd. Have free play at lever and dont see anything else wrong, I'm starting to think with my size and the performance of the motor the clutch is not sufficient. I built this bike for fun out of a bunch of parts I collected, I have other bikes to ride that fit me better but would like this one to work right even if it just sits in my shop. :bang:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
pryor said:
I'm starting to think with my size and the performance of the motor the clutch is not sufficient.

Yeah, you may be right. Is it possible that later model years and/or those from the MX and YZ lines used more plates in the clutch pack?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
None that I know of are a bolt in, unless some one knows of one or some better parts for the stock clutch I'm going to fire up the lathe & imagination and come up with something.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
A lot of racers I know always put an extra steel plate in. Doesn't matter where, just two steels next to each other somewhere in the stack.

Top Bottom