Curious - electric start on YZ 250F???

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Has anyone invested in an electric start for a YZ 250F?? If so - about how much would this run you and how difficult would it be to install?? I love riding my boyfriend's 426 and would really consider racing the 250F (I love having lots of low end power - plus they keep revving!!) but the small road block is starting that puppy!! Just wondering about an e-start so maybe I can pilot one of these next race season.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

littlerm

Dec 1, 1999
Currently there are no electric-start kits available for the Yamaha 4-strokes. I suppose one could be made by a good enough mechanic/engineer, but would require way too much work and probably too much money. I know that to put an e-start kit on an XR400 (with parts from a 400EX 4-wheeler) costs around $1500-$2000 in parts alone. Better wait for Yamaha to build one or buy a KTM 250 MXC 4-stroke, which will have e-start, and motocross it.

Roger Little
'99 WR400

------------------

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
There is a kit I saw in France for the 426 and the 250 ,very nice. Weight 13 lbs with everything cost +/- 1200 usd if you buy it after your bike or an extra of 400 if you ordered with a new bike
RakO

------------------

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sounds like that new KTM250 or even Gas Gas 250, are going to be killer thumpers. You can always test the new DRZ250, it is getting very good reviews, and has the e button.

littlerm

Dec 1, 1999
Rako, do you know the name of the company that produces the kit? That sounds like what everyone has been asking for!

Roger Little
'99 WR400

------------------

Lisa

Apr 24, 2001
Nikke, I have a 2000 YZ125 and race it in District Six(Womens class and VETC class). This year I bought a YZ250F and I don't have a problem at all starting it, as long as I follow the starting procedures. My husband has a YZ426-I wouldn't even think of trying to start that beast!!!...I am only 5'4" tall, 120 pounds too...it's really not that hard to kick...I kept my 125 just in case but now I am selling it...I really love the 4-stroke...Originally posted by nikki:
Has anyone invested in an electric start for a YZ 250F?? If so - about how much would this run you and how difficult would it be to install?? I love riding my boyfriend's 426 and would really consider racing the 250F (I love having lots of low end power - plus they keep revving!!) but the small road block is starting that puppy!! Just wondering about an e-start so maybe I can pilot one of these next race season.

------------------

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks Lisa! I still haven't had a chance to ride (and try to start) a 250F... but I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt for not getting one from what I have heard about the bike. I think it would be perfect for my riding style - I would love to have all of that bottom end power :) Ahh... the season is still young.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
Originally posted by nikki:
but the small road block is starting that puppy!!

Nikki,

I say this with the straightest face I know how, the Yz250F is easy to start. The only time it's less easy, is when I dump it and get in a hurry and miss TDC.

Dash

Joe P. 81

Nov 9, 2000
I agree with Dash. Once you get used to starting the 250F it is easy to start. Mine starts first or second kick even after a crash or stall.

Joe

01 YZ250F
00 CR250

------------------

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Do you guys know the dry weight of the YZ 125 vs. YZ 250F vs. YZ 250? Just curious...

My goal is to ride a 250F this weekend then contemplate putting my 125 for sale - oh, if I would have gotten the right bike the first time. :confused:

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
The service manual for the 250F says 104.5kg or 230lb with oil and full fuel tank. I have not weighed the bike myself to verify this, but that seems right. It feels just the same as a 250 two stroke. It's light. Most new 250's are around 215 dry and 193 dry for the 125's.

Kali, there's a guy at the track I go to who is barely 5'3. He rides and does very well on a 426. He starts his bike on the stand and never EVER stalls it. :) Seriously, like anything, he's adapted to kicking the bike while balancing/leaning on his left leg. Once you get the feel for TDC, it doesn't take much to get the bike fired.

Dash

Top Bottom