CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
I'm in the process of rehabing a Tibial Plateau break that was accompanied by an ACL/Meniscus tear earlier this year.

Have any of you had experience (I'm sure many of you have ;) ) with insurance provided custom knee braces?

What's the process, how did you go about applying for coverage and who provides the braces?

Thanks in advance.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I have a custom made CTI2 brace. My doctor wrote a prescription and I took it a prosthetic supply place(your doctor will tell you where there is one). We discussed what I wanted and decided to go with the custom one because of riding bikes. They did a cast of my leg along with measurements and ordered it. They billed the insurance company. It cost a total of 1800.00 which my insurance covered completely. Not all insurances cover as well as mine. Discuss with you doctor which one you want because some doctors will specify on the scrip what one they want you to have. I have not had my CTI2 brace long enough to ride with it yet, so I am not sure how it will work for riding.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
WomanRider said:
I have a custom made CTI2 brace. My doctor wrote a prescription and I took it a prosthetic supply place(your doctor will tell you where there is one). We discussed what I wanted and decided to go with the custom one because of riding bikes. They did a cast of my leg along with measurements and ordered it. They billed the insurance company. It cost a total of 1800.00 which my insurance covered completely. Not all insurances cover as well as mine. Discuss with you doctor which one you want because some doctors will specify on the scrip what one they want you to have. I have not had my CTI2 brace long enough to ride with it yet, so I am not sure how it will work for riding.

Good stuff...so I'm assuming then that it's not an option until I get close to 100% strength back in my leg. I've been on crutches for nearly 3 months now so you can imagine what my puny leg looks like right now, my knee is twice its normal size and my thigh looks like a bicep :laugh:

I go see the doc next wed (cross your fingers for weight bearing!) and I'll inquire with him about the brace. Who was the manufacturer of yours? ...and did you get it in a sweet bike matching color ;)

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
CerkMX said:
Good stuff...so I'm assuming then that it's not an option until I get close to 100% strength back in my leg. I've been on crutches for nearly 3 months now so you can imagine what my puny leg looks like right now, my knee is twice its normal size and my thigh looks like a bicep :laugh:

I go see the doc next wed (cross your fingers for weight bearing!) and I'll inquire with him about the brace. Who was the manufacturer of yours? ...and did you get it in a sweet bike matching color ;)

CTI2's are made by innovation sports. I ordered mine in Euro red, and it looks like honda red. They have lots of color choices with custom paint jobs as well. My leg was still quite swelled when they did the cast of my leg. The person who took measurements also measured my good leg for comparison and informed innovation sports my leg was swelled. Innovation sports has a 1 year re-fit policy. If the fit changes over the period of 1 year they will adjust it somehow.

Here is a link to what mine looks like
http://www.mxdk.com/template.cfm?pageid=40

But it looks like innovation sports has changed names to Ossur and changed the style since I ordered mine a month ago. Here is a link to there web site
http://www.ossur.com/bracesandsupports/kneebraces

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
WomanRider said:
CTI2's are made by innovation sports. I ordered mine in Euro red, and it looks like honda red. They have lots of color choices with custom paint jobs as well. My leg was still quite swelled when they did the cast of my leg. The person who took measurements also measured my good leg for comparison and informed innovation sports my leg was swelled. Innovation sports has a 1 year re-fit policy. If the fit changes over the period of 1 year they will adjust it somehow.

Here is a link to what mine looks like
http://www.mxdk.com/template.cfm?pageid=40

But it looks like innovation sports has changed names to Ossur and changed the style since I ordered mine a month ago. Here is a link to there web site
http://www.ossur.com/bracesandsupports/kneebraces

Thanks so much for the information!!! It's greatly appreciated. I'm going to start inquiring with our HR dept tomorrow about provisions for funding for a custom brace. I'll keep ya posted, and good luck with your pending surgery and subsequent rehab!!! :cool:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
That looks uncomfortable, especially when it was hot and humid out. I wore a foam brace in the heat of the summer and hated it.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
WomanRider said:
That looks uncomfortable, especially when it was hot and humid out. I wore a foam brace in the heat of the summer and hated it.

Oh it was brutal for a while...I felt bad for my therapist when I went in after being outside for a while for work. You can imagine the result after opening it up :laugh:

I'm still wearing it now and since it's cooled off it really hasn't been too bad. Can't wait to get it off though, maybe even start taking showers standing up again!!

Top Bottom