Danappger

Mar 21, 2005
This for my KX100 powered paraglider... I'm getting good performance (25hp estimated, by comparison with another machine) with the pipe I have now (of unknown origin; I suspect it came from a YZ80). However, I'm having problems with the pipe cracking... mainly due to the mounting; the engine has to be on rubber mounts, the pipe is also on rubber mounts, and there's a ball coupling at the engine... but it's still not good enough, in part due to the compromises I had to make from using a stock pipe.

To complicate matters, the pipe is paper thin, especially near the engine end, so it tends to burn through while I'm rewelding it.

Anyway, my thought is to buy an aftermarket pipe, designed for the KX100, from one of the established makers. Although as I said the performance is OK, who knows how much better I might be able to do? The best thing would be if I could buy a pipe, brand new, but unassembled, so I could arranged it into the configuration I need (hopefully better than what I have now) and weld it up myself. So, my question to the group is, who to go to? I know of Procircuit, FMF, and Bill's... who would be the best choice for this kind of thing? I don't want a "fat" pipe due to space constraints, and light weight is important.

From a performance standpoint, I don't need low end torque... I'm trying to tune it (by adjusting the propeller pitch) so full throttle is a bit on the low side, 10-10,500 rpm; the idea there is to improve engine life. Cruise power is around 8,000 rpm (and here I have a problem with my current pipe, as that's just about where the pipe "kicks in", so it's hard to hold the rpm's right there).

Anyway, any thoughts welcomed.

-Dana

Drink wet cement, and get completely stoned!

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
I can't help you with your pipe question but just out of curosity, how do you jet your engine? Seem's like it would start running really rich at high altitudes if you jetted it for ground level. Silly question I know but I'm just curious......

Top Bottom