dirtydave500

Sep 19, 2004
I read this forum and found it to be very helpful. Sounds like many of you perform suspension mods as a business. I have a few questions you might answer for me.

First off I bought an Ohlins shock for my CR on Sept. 29, 04. The tuner sells them with the following statement, "All our ****** Custom Ohlins shocks come with a 6-month Seal Warranty and a 1-Year Valving Guarantee. Custom Springs and Valving are included."

The new shock came with a spring that had 50mm of static sag when race sag was set at 100mm. Obviously the spring was too stiff. The tuner said he would do me a "favor" by "giving" me a new spring. I get the new spring and it looks like its been through the ringer, rust, worn paint. Who knows how much time it has on it! Am I wrong to expect a new spring considering their guarantee?

One more question. I rebuild my forks and shocks myself so I asked for the piston depth, oil and nitrogen specs. He tells me they are propietary and wont release them. Is this normal practice?

Anyway thanks for any input you may have. In time I'll bite the bullet and send front and rear off to MX Tech to have them re-worked.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Alot ot tuners wont give out this kind of info so you have to use them for all work, also ohlins dealers wont sell parts to the public-i dont like these policies and avoid all companies that act this way.

reed

Apr 5, 2004
Well,
I don't know where you heard that Ohlins dealers will not sell parts. PM me, I'll get you what you want.
The answers to your questions are in the manual that you should have got with your damper. If not, you can download it off of the Ohlins site.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If he wanted to do you a favor, he would honor the guarantee without making a big deal of it or passing a used spring off on you.

I'd give him his used spring back and ask for the correct unused one that you were supposed to get with your new shock.

dirtydave500

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess we have to learn the hard way sometimes. They never supplied an owners manual for the "custom shock", they didnt even supply baseline clicker settings. Had to call them for that.

I was looking at the "new spring" its not the spring I sent in but has the same numbers on it. I called Pro Pilot Racing, they said I have an attitude problem and sent my original spring back and will not replace it with one of the correct rate. Actually they sent me a badly worn spring of the same rate I sent in. Be warned of using Pro Pilot Racing for any suspension services.

binder929rr

May 1, 2004
the spring thing, that was just wrong of them, but i agree with him with the nitrogen stuff and setup. that's his business so he can't be giving out info to everyone. if he gives you some tips on stuff ya, or baseline settings, but deep info, i can see it ok for him to not give that out.

dirtydave500

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks to Ohlins USA my troubles have been resolved, Ohlins has provided excellent customer service and even fixed my spring problem and provided maintenance data even though it was no fault of their own. As far as maintenance data (nitro pressure or piston depth) being top secret thats hogwash, I have had Race-Tech, Pro-Action and now Ohlins, all have been more than happy to supply me with basic maintenance data.

Top Bottom