Customs fees on a 144 in canada

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Just wondering if anyone here from Canada has sent their cylinder to eric gorr and had it bored to a 144. I'd like to know what customs fee's were for you when it was shipped back.
I did a search, but didn't find anything relevant.
Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Eric is very versed in cross border shipping so no concerns there. As long as you ship it USPS instead of UPS you will end up with a $5 fee plus applicable taxes on the work.

If you happen to be in Manitoba and can get the cylinder to me in Winnipeg I can save you shipping costs to get it down there as I'll be stopping to say hello to Eric on my way to the Indy SX.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Thanks for the offer, but I live in Nova Scotia. I don't mind the shipping cost, as long as I don't get hit with a $100 in customs fee's like I have on some ebay purchases.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The big thing on most cross border purchases is the majority of people in the USA ship with UPS and when you receive it UPS charges you exorbitant brokerage fee's for clearing it through customs. I've received $150 items and UPS wants $80 for the seven seconds of work they do to clear it through customs for you. Shipping via the postal service they charge a flat rate of $5 (last I checked) to broker your package for you.

If you must get a package shipped via UPS have the shipper clearly mark it as "DO NOT BROKER, RECEIVER WILL BROKER". When your package arrives at the UPS depot in your town (likely near the airport) they will call you and tell you it has arrived, you then attended grab some paperwork and go to the nearest customs office (also likely at or near the airport) and pay the taxes. Return to UPS and pick up your package. For me the airport is about 30 minutes from my home so the process usually takes an hour and half round trip so if possible I ship via the post office to save the hassle. Oh and if they try to deliver the package even though you stated you would broker, refuse it at your door telling the driver you will broker it and then contact the office to make arrangements for pick up.

Any work done by Eric would be covered by NAFTA so there is no export duty on his work, so the only potential costs are brokerage and the PST/GST which are applicable.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Thanks for the info, I'll be sending it out probably by the end of the month, then I can be the only one in my region with a 144(as far as I know), hell, I'll probably be the only one on a 2 stroke this year, haha.

Top Bottom