cutting down silencer to shorty

rwild

Oct 25, 2004
I was wandering if anyone had cut their stock silencer down to make it into a shorty if so how did it work out?? how much did you cut off??

I think it would give some more low end

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I think it would be best if you left the stock unit alone and purchased a pre-built pipe for the task. CR are not known for their bottom-end grunt. You would have better luck getting more low-end grunt with either a FMF Gnarly pipe or a V-Force Reed cage then a loud shorty silencer. Or what I would try is lowering the final gear ratio to put the hit and power lower in each tranny gear. This is the cheapest mod here and will most likely solve your problem. Try a two tooth larger rear sprocket.

pj72285

Apr 3, 2004
I cut down my silencer for my 99 KX 250 just to try it because i have two of them. I had to cut off a decent amout just to retain the stock mounts without have to weld new ones. After riding it all it did for the bike was make it louder. i wouldnt waste my time if i were you trying because for me no performance came out of it.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
An aftermarket shorty didn't really give my CR much if any more bottom end, but it did liven up the bottom-mid transition (hit).

Lissa's advice is sound. There are a few other things you can try first, but quite frankly coaxing more bottom from the CR is like squeezing blood from a stone, unless you bite the bullet and get it ported.

It's probably easiest to just change your riding style. I tend to wring it out in each gear, where my KX-riding buddy is shortshifting. Play to the bike's strengths.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I bought a used silencer for my YZ 250 off of ****. I cut it to about 6 inches total length. It looks cool, but changed the power very little. Maybe a bit more off of the bottom.

I expected the bike to be loud. Truthfully, it is not much more than stock.

For the 10.00 I spent it was worth it. There is no way I would have been happy spending 80.00 for an aftermarket silencer.

rwild

Oct 25, 2004
well I went up two teeth in the rear sprocket and put the FMF SST with the power core silencer and it helped it a ton I was just wandering about the shorty

thanks all

Top Bottom