Camber

Jun 12, 2007
Well since I don't have anyone to go riding with at the moment I thought I would cut my own trail around the property. I have the entrance done so far which leads to a wicked hill, that will be a blast to climb I'm hoping. Its a lot of work, but I am really looking forward to the finished product.
Anyone else doing this? Any suggestions, thought on the matter?? Anyone close by want to help? :)

Well I was going to put up pictures, but you can't tell depth from them... :(

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Two things I have found:

1. Push/pull trees over so you aree not left with stumps in the trail that rise as the dirt around them is moved by riding.

2. What seems like a wide, fairly straight trail when making/walking it turns into bar banging, first gear maze when you ride it.

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
If you could get a hold of a good tractor with a front end loader, preferably a 4x4 thats all you'll need. I can raise the bucket up on mine ease up against the tree, put it in granny gear and push over tree's, I think the biggest Ive pushed over was about 10-12 inches thick. The trick to pushing a tree over is letting the tree do most of the work with the tree already being top heavy, a little persuasion and some steady force is all you need. Watch pushing over dead ones, the tops will break out and fall on you, I had a near miss with a dead pine :ohmy: :yikes: .
If you some how get your hands on a friends tractor borrow a disk implement and a landscape rake. Use the disk to tear up the trail then use the landscape rake to rake up roots and rocks. G@@d Luck.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
When we cut trail on properties our club leases we try to go with the natural flow. Basically there is generally a "trail" of sorts that only requires minimal trimming to create unless you are in a brush infested area. This shows respect for the land owner and the land.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I Like to just ride and make my own trail. Anything that needs to be moved, I move (if I can), or carry a pare of pruning shears to cut threw Thick stuff.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Pruning shears?! Your dad uses a pair of toenail clippers when he cuts trail ;)

Top Bottom