Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
I saw the article last night, nice right up, sounds like the 02' season is gonna be a battle in the 4stroke arena. Orange, blue and red all going for it. How about the nice gloss advertisements in the middle pages of CN!! I ride blue but those pics are something to drool over no matter what you ride. If you don't subscribe to CN, find a friend who does and check it out.

bashn

Dec 6, 2000
I now have mixed feelings about this bike! I put my deposit down for a bike that wieghs 225 lbs, is easy to start, and hopefully has a lighter clutch pull. Well, 2 outa 3 ain't bad, however, the wieght thing has me bummed. CN said a 232 lb dry weight is expected - very close to a YZ426. I'm not paying a $1,000 dollar premium for a smoother clutch and slightly easier starting. Guess I'll be keeping my YZ250F for another year.:)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Huh, so the original weight figures were a bit low, hmmmmmmm thats funny, wonder how that happened? Oh well, Im sure the HP figures are spot on ;) ,,,,,, NOT!

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
HP and weight...who cares. Today's 4strokes are light..ever ridden an 83' XT550 Yamaha?? Nuff said. I would like to know how many people on these forums or anywhere that can use the full potential of most stock bikes produced today. So what if the Hp and weight figures are off, hello.. its marketing. Don't want this to be a flame but ease up. I have people ask me, "is that thing(yz426) heavy?" I just say, " not if you don't have to pick it up". Last but not least..its a Honda, I hear 1st year stuff..again its a Honda. Pay the money and ride the bike, we are getting high dollar technology these days brought over from the road racing arena..that's good stuff. Let's just ride..no matter what the color or dry weights..do you ride your bike dry? Nope!

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by Blue Thunder
HP and weight...who cares. Today's 4strokes are light..ever ridden an 83' XT550 Yamaha?? Nuff said. ...

Right on! I remember riding in the 70's when bikes had 4 to 5" of travel, TWO rear shocks and weighed 50 lbs more than the heaviest thumpers of today.

My 2000 KLX is a dream to ride and light as heck. It's all put in perspective when your out on the trail. Most HP and weight hounds of today are the young fellas that want to have some phycological edge in thier own mind when skill is the only edge that matters and comes from practice on any bike.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
heavy! yeh, the ole' 78 xls 250. wow! it was heaveeey, but at least it had 2 rear shocks and only started 1/4 of the time!:confused: i'm lovin' my wr426:)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, I rode a XL 600. I had a KLR 250 for a dirt bike when I was 15 :) . Riding the XL I remember thinking, great power but man is the suspension soft! I suppose at 400 lbs, most suspension would be soft! :) .
I agree most wont use a bike to full potential, but having a light bike with great suspension and broad usable good power makes the bike safer for we riders that tend to get our selves in over our heads once in a while.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Blue, I have to differ with you on this one: "I would like to know how many people on these forums or anywhere that can use the full potential of most stock bikes produced today."

It is a well proven fact that a better bike will make a decent rider faster. If one rides at a certain pace, that pace will improve with better equipment. You of all people know that. It makes no difference how much you personally can get out of a bike vs. the bikes true capability.

Chris

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
I hear ya cujet...I for one know I have more HP than I can effectively use..right now! It is fun to work towards being able to use all it has to offer. My gripe is just these HP claims and how people make a big deal if its "claimed" number differs from the actual. I didn't buy the 426 based on the hp, I wanted a Yam 4stroke since 98'. For me the suspension has been the biggest improver of my speed on tracks/trails, I love 4stroke power and combined w/great suspension it is confidence inspiring. Everyone has a particular bike that makes them drool, whatever color, brand or hp rating, buy it and ride..nevermind all of the marketing claims.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Hey J-dog, sure sounds like you're suffering from Red 450 fever?:p

At least our bikes would match in the trailer.

Your gimp buddy,
Wade

gremlin

Sep 16, 2001
I ride an xr 350 now but i used to ride XT 400,
When i come off, I just wimper a little bit and my buddy's rush over and pick it back up for me. ( who cares how heavy it is)

Top Bottom