RiverRat

May 4, 2001
Well, I tore my engine down this afternoon on my '87 CR250, and as I suspected, the crank is toast. And when the crank went out it decided it would like to send tons of debris through the engine and took out the piston and cylinder head. My question to all of you fine folks out there is, is it possible to salvage a cylinder head that has a bunch of pitting around the outside perimeter (from being squished between piston and head) or should I buy a new one?

I have to tear the motor down completely anyway, which means I won't be riding for around 6 months (gotta love having a new baby around that uses up your play money ;) ) . If anyone knows if I can salvage the head, or knows of a good crank rebuilder in the So. Cal. area please drop me a line. Thanks in advance. . .

-RiverRat

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Send the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr. Since head mods are part of his engine packages anyway, it will only add a little to the total cost to have the gouges welded and re-machined.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
HMMMMMMMMM........This sounds familiar. Oh yeah, that's cuz it happened to me! I FEEL your pain. My entire engine is at Eric's and his buddys' that does the bottoms as we speak. His prices are below everything I've checked, and as a lot of the guys atest, his work is really good. I'll let ya know for sure in about a week or two. You might have a better time finding a used cylinder & head, but who knows if it's good or not until you take it apart.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
buffmaster

your cylinder is in good company© just mailed out Jr's kdx clylinder to eric© his kips vavle was total carboned up and took out the piston© so I shipped it out for good cause© i'm letting eric give it a good inspection and let me know if it needs replating© I've threw away better looking cylinders© there goes what left of the riding season©

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
hey marlin, you want a real butt-biter? one of the members here is selling a '98 kx 250 cyl & head that's been moded by Pro Circuit. How's that for timing?

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
I normally don't give advice but in this case, send it to Eric.
Did my cylinder(bored, plated, ported) and head- 90 CR 250. I'm more than pleased.
The price is right too.

Follow the link to the left, list of services and prices, how to ship it, everything is there.

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
ya thats the way it go's

you should buy it any way's, with the way you ride:p

Top Bottom