Cylinder/Head Stripping/Painting

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Need you guys expert advice - I am working my 76 RM370, and am a newbie this old bike stuff. The paint on the head and cylinder is all flaking off and needs to be redone

1) What is the easiest way to strip the old paint off? Are there suitable chemical stripers or do i have some one sandblast or bead blast them? I cant think of any way to get the paint off down in between the fins other than those options!

2) Now that it is stripped - will it be a problem managing to get the fins painted well shooting down in to them - i can imagine a not very even coat? Or am i worrying to much?!!

Thanks in advance

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Bead blast it.
Many auto parts shops have bead blasters that can do it for you.

On painting, just mainly spray heat resistant paint from the top down and then from the sides.

The main thing is to cover all outside surfaces so rust will not take a hold.

Heat and wear will wipe out all efforts of doing a great job, so just do a good job. :D

TooTall

Nov 6, 2000
Bead or sand blasting works well. I then use PJ1 Hi Temp engine paint. Using several coats, you can get good coverage everywhere. I have done this to several older motors with good success. I have not had a problem with heat and wear destroying a nice job.

TT

vmxservice

Jul 10, 2002
To remove the paint just bead blast it of as mentioned here. But for the new paint I must say that I have had bad expiriences with the heat resistant types. When these come in contact with gasoline it is like the paints dissolves and drips right of. Nowadays I just take a gloss (high shine) black spray can and use this. No problems so far.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Pretty much as i figured actually. I will see if i can find a local place to bead blast and go from there. VMX - so the "non high temp" paint does not blister up and come off? I have see the ultra high temp paint (1500 degress) then the "normal" engine enamel stuff (500 degrees) then the good old non high temp. do you even use the 500 degree stuff...or just the regular?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom