cylinder hone - how to chamfer the ports?

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I'm about to do my first top end and the wiseco piston instructions say to hone the bore and then chamfer the ports after honing. I have a steel lined cylinder and will be honing it with the 240 grit aluminum oxide flex hone that Eric Gorr suggests. What do I use and what do I need to do to chamfer the ports after honing? Also what technique should I use to actually do the honing? I assume a slow speed on the drill and move it up and down to maintain a 20-30 degree angle on the cross hatch? Should I run the hone all the way out of the cylinder top and bottom or just part way, etc? Thanks in advance.

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
I chamfer thr ports with a "tri corner cutter" that I made... It is basicly a triangleular file, with the file edges ground off, and sharpend... It works quite nice

As for honeing... I would put steeper cross hatchings than 20-30 degrees... but i maybe confused... because there is lots of measure ment you can get for determining crosshatching...
I prefer 45 degree cross hatching... I get 45 degrees from the angle that they are where the cross and the x axis... if that makes since.

Run the drill slow, and go in and out... To get the right amount of speed just takes practice, and be sure to use a honeing oil when you do it... wd-40 works good...

blackjack

Aug 11, 2002
Believe it or not after you have used the ball hone you won't have to chamfer your ports, the hone will do that for you.

Coat the hone with 2-stroke oil and run it from the base side up and down at about one stroke per second. Do this for 20 seconds. Then hone from the head side for the same amount of time to ensure that both side of the ports get the same treatment. Finish from the base side again for 10 seconds or so.

The 45 deg. cross hatch is what you are after. Clean the bore extremely well before you reassemble.

Top Bottom