rsaxa

Feb 5, 2004
Has anyone honed their own cylinder and how did you do it? What was the speed of the hone in and out, and does the hone have to exit the cylinder and then pulled back thru. I have read Eric Gorr's page, use the ball hone, 10% smaller and 240 grit, but it does not have info on how to do it. Could it be done on a drill press or would it be better on a lathe? Should I just use a hand drill, I don't think it would be as straight.

Thanks,
Bob

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
If its a plated cyl don't hone at all. To clean it up use muratic acid to remove aluminum from plating, then rub lightly with scotch brite pad. If it's steel use low rpm with fast in and out. This will achieve a cross hatch. Look at cyl to see old cross hatch try to match it. All you want to do is break glaze dont over hone.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rsaxa said:
What was the speed of the hone in and out, and does the hone have to exit the cylinder and then pulled back thru.Should I just use a hand drill, I don't think it would be as straight.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob.

A hand drill will work just fine with a ball hone. As far as the speed of the hone in and out goes, what you want to wind up with is a cross or 'X' pattern in the cylinder. Move the hone in and out using a uniform stroke all the way through the cylinder. Allow the hone to protrude an inch or two out of the other side of the cylinder before you pull it back through.

Be sure to use a little oil on your hone. Don't use solvent because solvent can disolve the abrasive balls on the hone.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Radiator Ron said:
This will achieve a cross hatch. Look at cyl to see old cross hatch try to match it. QUOTE]

Sorry Radiator Ron, looks like we posted at the same time.

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
I have been using a ball hone on every top end I do every time, even on plated holes.I still have the same jug on my CR that I been racing for three and a half years now. No probs. use a hand drill medium speed and run the hone through the jug pretty fast no more than a couple of times, wash with soap.

rsaxa

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks for the replies all. CR 3999, do you use 240 grit? Where would I get muratic acid? Could that eat the out side of the cylinder if I'm not careful?

Thanks again,
Bob

Top Bottom