j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
I know this has been addressed so if someone wants to post the links to some post's on this thats great, or advice/expertise. I did a search but didnt come up with much.

anyway heres my question/s.
I have a cylinder, its not off a dirtbike but it is a 2 stroke, sorry, dont kill me. It's nikisil plated, and the piston seized on the exhuast side, but it didnt gouge or scar the cylinder it just has a pretty good smug of aluminum up the exhuast side of the cylinder.
Can I Lightly sand or hone that out with a ball hone or no way?

Iv never honed a cylinder before so If I can any tips or threads on it would really help a guy out. like I dont understand how you get the 45 degree cros hatching, and do I need a hone that is the same bore as the cylinder? thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My intel say to not use a ball hone on a plated cylinder, instead, use a flat type hone. Others here say that it's OK. It may be best to have a machine shop handle it if you are unsure.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Hey GMC, do you have a source to justify? I am curious because if I ever have to take a stand on this one, I need to at least know all of the facts. Wiseco says no ball hone on plated, but I have no idea why they say that. Personally, I have no opinion on the matter and I don't understand what it could hurt.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If the cylinder isn't scuffed and it just has aluminum on it, buy some muriatic acid at the construction store. Put it on there with a scotchbrite pad (being extremely careful not to get it on your skin or in eyes) using protective gloves and goggles. The acid will eat off the aluminum. Afterwards, rinse well with water and baking soda (to neutralize the acid).

I've done this before and it works well.

Top Bottom