Mar 25, 2008
Hi, Im in need of a new cylinder for my bike but dont know the smartest route so Im here to ask. The bike is an 01 Honda CR250 (Two smoker) Is it best to send mine off to a replating company or just buy another OEM Replacement? Im kinda hoping that getting it rebuilt will result in a better cylinder due to the plating being thicker but I dont know so Im hoping someone will chime in and give me a good answer to this. Thanks, Stuart

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If it were mine, I'd send the cylinder to Eric Gorr and overbore and re-plate to 265cc. I did this to my '02 CR250 3 or 4 years ago with amazing results. I had more power everywhere. At that time, he did the machine work and then sent it to US Chrome for plating. Do a search for CR265. I think I posted reviews on it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The 265 is a good idea if you need to replate. Especially if there's deep scoring in the cylinder. I've ridden an RM265 and it runs very strong. It has a fairly violent midrange but it was like that with the stock bore as well. The big bore seemed to pump up the power all around emphasising the strong factory midrange(hard to hang onto). Some power valve adjustments and a flywheel weight have made it more manageable.

Make sure the lower end is good and tight before reassembly. The last thing you want to do is have a crank bearing come apart and ruin the freshly rebuilt top end.

Dec 8, 2007
If you want zero downtime buy the stock one, and a matching stock piston (a or b), then you can have the old one replated for next time, otherwise just replate the one you have. Also you'll need to send your new piston with the cylinder so they can finish hone to the correct cyl-piston clearance. It doesn't matter how thick the plating is as it will still wear down.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The option for sending it to Eric is a great one! buy the piston from him also and it will be a bolt on affair when you get it back.

otherwise, go to the local bike shop and see who they send out the jugs to. There is a lot of places that will sleeve a cylinder for you. you have to buy a piston from them also so they can match the bore. ANy of the motocross mags have a ton of ads in the back for this.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
a new bore, and re-plating lasts just as long, if not longer, than a stock bore.

the factory bore was plated too. the plating increases longevity.

Top Bottom