clown

Jan 5, 2006
Hi, i was going to do a top end rebuild soon, and am new to plated cylinders. Ok the bike is a 2000 cr125 which is stock, and the top end service history is unknown.

If i got this right, if my cylinder does not have any scratches that i can feel with my finger nail, i dont have to get the cylinder honed or bored do I? If it is scratched, i need to get a special honing job for plated cylinders?

Provided the cylinder is scratch free, do i just get a replacement piston-rings etc for the size of the piston that was in the bike?
hope you can help!

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
clown said:
Hi, i was going to do a top end rebuild soon, and am new to plated cylinders. Ok the bike is a 2000 cr125 which is stock, and the top end service history is unknown.

If i got this right, if my cylinder does not have any scratches that i can feel with my finger nail, i dont have to get the cylinder honed or bored do I? If it is scratched, i need to get a special honing job for plated cylinders? If there are no scratches and it looks good, take it to a shop - a quality hone will add value - its not 100% necessary and I'm sure some people will disagree but we do this all the time - the kawasaki cylinders are the exception because their plating is super duper thin. You can skip this hone step if you like.

Provided the cylinder is scratch free, do i just get a replacement piston-rings etc for the size of the piston that was in the bike?
hope you can help! Yes, that is correct.

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
Just because there are no scratches doesn't mean that the plating is not worn. Look for areas that the aluminum is starting to show through the plating, specifically at the top where the piston stops. Take it to a shop and have them measure the bore and check for out-of-roundness.

Top Bottom