Nov 8, 2010
hey guys so sent my 1993 kx125 cylinder off to be sleeved. nothing outa the ordinary and the pressing of the sleeve seems good as well as the decking and honing to fit the piston however the ports dont all line up dead smoothe. my dilema is if i machine them out to match the alloy where the sleeve was machined the ports will be bigger and possibly change shape in certain spots.

do i a leave it alone the sleeves ports are corect and it will run perfectly normall or do i need to machine the ports all smoothe and even. nothing fowls but im just not sure. im not woried it was a dud sleeve it was a LA sleeve

cheers guys your helps apreciated,

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Did you ask who ever put the sleeve in? Sleeves do not match up, it is impossible. The porting on the sleeve is likely correct, making it pretty where it meets the aluminum will guarantee that it will run worse. Replace the cylinder or leave it alone. Next time, replate it. Vintage Bob

Nov 8, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Did you ask who ever put the sleeve in? Sleeves do not match up, it is impossible. The porting on the sleeve is likely correct, making it pretty where it meets the aluminum will guarantee that it will run worse. Replace the cylinder or leave it alone. Next time, replate it. Vintage Bob

cheers mate i was pretty sure not to **** with it but as a said wasnt to sure about flow etc.

i gather your not a cast iorn cylinder typa person aye each toi ther own i guess. none the less thanx for the help motors goin together asap lol

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The cast iron coated cylinders are the best thing I have seen, so far, imo. The liners, every guy with a press is a cylinder repair expert. And there is no way from the heat issues.

Nov 8, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The cast iron coated cylinders are the best thing I have seen, so far, imo. The liners, every guy with a press is a cylinder repair expert. And there is no way from the heat issues.

ohh ive never had a cylinder sleeved and the guy who didnt hasnt done 1 so i wasnt so sure but i can tell you his machine work is top notch the sleeve lines up trick i just wasnt shure abut matching the ports.

i like old school setups to me a cast iorn bore will always be beter than the coating but thats just me. you can buy a sleeve and fit it for like 300. to recoat it costs like 550. i know you chop rings out easier but the extra bite i rekons worth it

Nov 8, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
250 for a replate. You can usually get a sleeve for 200.

you in australia? lol cause sadly i am and it definetly aint that cheap here lol really sucks if it was 200 for a replate i wouda done that hands down

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Sadly no, but I sure would like to visit with my dirtbikes some day! And yes, I have seen some of the prices, and some local fabricators and their prices. Fixing a sleeve job, still impractical. It is what it is, now.

Top Bottom