Cylinder studs: installation and removal

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Hi,
I would like to know how to remove the studs on a cylinder and how to put some new ones on. I've tried using vice-Grips but it does some damage to the studs. What do you guys use? Do I need to heat the cylinder?

Also, I would like to know what to put on the threads when installing; antiseize, red locktite, green locktite?

Thanks
Seb

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
One way to install the studs is take 2 head nuts and install the first one upside down. Then install the other and tighten them together firmly. Now you can use the top nut with a socket to remove or install the studs. The factory uses a light thread locking compound. Ive never used any on many cylinders and never had any trouble. I have a special tool just for this from Snap On Tools. Try any major tool supplier if you feel the need to. good luck!

Einstein

May 27, 2002
The stud remover works the best, Snap-On is the highest quality but they are sooo expensive! It won't hurt to heat the cylinder, especially if there is some corrosion on the studs.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
i used vise grips, you just need a big enough pair and they pop right out. plus you have to make sure you have the actually VISE GRIP brand becuase all in all they work wayyy better than any generic brand. although a stud removal tool does sound like it will work good too but i have never tried one. just my .02

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Just went through this procedure and this is what I recommend. To remove, first heat the cylinder around the stud with a propane torch. Not too hot, just enough to soften the thread lock used by the manufacturer. Do not heat the stud itself as this will be counter productive. Move the torch around a bit so you don't get one spot way too hot.

Next, use a stud removal tool. The Snap-On brand is way over priced and offers no quality advantage. The best set I found is made by Assenmacher (AST) and comes with a set of four metric sizes for $102. I use an on-line company called Ontool.com. The stud remover uses a three-cam type socket mechanism to grap the stud by the threads. It may or may not flatten the threads lightly depending on how much force is required. Since I prefer to replace with new studs, this is not a problem.

To install, first coat the threads with blue lock-tite and use a stud installer. Make sure there is no grease or dirt on either the cylinder or stud threads. The stud installer I use is made by Motion Pro. They make a beautiful set of three metric sizes for $45. You can also buy just one size for $16. I chose the Motion Pro installer because they do not use the threads to install unlike the AST set above or the Snap-On one (the AST set is both an installer and remover). The Motion Pro set will leave a tiny dimple on the end of the stud that amazingly matches the dimple on the original studs installed by the factory.

Tighten the studs snugly and evenly so all are at the same height when installed.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom