85YZRacer

Aug 7, 2006
i own an 85 yz125 and im in the process of doing a top end rebuild. I heard a lot of people talking about plated cylinders and how you can use the same stock piston over and over. My cylinder came with a sleeve from the factory. Would it be in my best interest to stop re-sleeving and have my cylinder plated or should i just stick with cast iron sleevs from wiseco. Is it even possible to get my cylinder plated even though it didn't come from the factory that way. ps. i like to keep my bore stock. i dont think i'll ever do an overbore because i dont wanna cut into the powervalve.

thanks

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You should measure the cylinder for piston to wall clearance and taper. If it passes, then there is no reason not to use the cylinder.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I think you should think over your decision to not bore over. It is a perfectly good option. Any good machinist would have no problem at machining the power valve to keep a good seal. You cannot have your cylinder plated with nicasil, unless you find that place where they used to have it offered for vintage bikes. They would put nicasil over the iron sleeve. If I were to spend money on this cylinder, I would send it to a tuner to have it ported because the stock porting configuration was completely destructive on pistons and the power delivery was more enduro-like.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Just bore it, Its allot cheaper and you should be able to go to .80 over. I had a 1983 years ago and bore and hone cose me 35 dollars. Once a top end is done with a new bore and piston its like brand new. Just my .02

Top Bottom