firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well today was my second race of the season, first of the six-round spring MX series. Guess how I finished.

You got it!!!

DEAD FREAKING LAST!!!

I am sooooo slow it's not even funny.

Let's take a look at who beat me. Hm, a girl on a 125, no problem, I know she's faster than me anyway. She's 17 or so and has no fear. 2nd girl was on a KX 100, I already know she is faster than me too, not by a huge amount but still plenty good. 3rd girl is like 9 and rides a KX 65. She's been riding since she was 3 or 4 and I know she is faster, but shouldn't horsepower count for something? 4th girl on a KX 85, she's not much faster but I still can't keep her behind me.

You have no idea how pissed off I am. I am going to practice until I fall over all week. This weekend is a 3-day weekend, and I am going to be out at that stupid track every day (unless I go snowmobiling with a friend).

I hate this and it makes me so mad. I watch the other girls out there, especially the girl on the 85, and think "Yeah I can catch her." But I can't. Because I am SLOW and I SUCK. A couple of people have told me I am faster than last year, but obviously, NOT FAST ENOUGH to not embarrass myself! Do the math--I ride the biggest bike in my class by 75 ccs! (not that that is why I ride it, I didn't race MX when I bought it)

I know in my head I can be faster. I know exactly what I should be doing. I just can't make my body do what my mind knows I should do!

OMG, look at that, two whole feet of air. :think:

Attachments

• mxrace1.jpg
    mxrace1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 520

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Bummer. Too bad there's no body checking in motocross. :confused: Look at it this way... if you'd won you wouldn't work as hard for the next race. ;) First couple races of the season are for working out your kinks anywho. I know you'll get 'em next time. :thumb: Keep up the hard work and you'll be in the lead before you know it. :cool:

Cool action shot. Who took it?

SarahL99

Dec 18, 2001
Dont be so hard on your self! Your out there and just have fun being out there! Thats what its all about! MX is such a mental game it seems! I'm struggling with so many things I dont know where to begin! Of course I struggle physically with armpump too but I bet I could eleviate a lot of it with smarter riding! You just need to keep riding the track - havnt you mostly been a trail rider? Tight cornersand rythem sections into table tops, doubles and triples are an entirly differant story. I have soo much work to do my self - I wish you were down here, we could train together! I'm ready!!!!

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Firecracker,

Practice with someone faster than you and strive to ride smoothly especially in the corners. Races are won or lost in the corners since most riders are about the same speed on the straights. Learn to ride smooth and the speed will come to you. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your attitude is the only part of your life that you have 100% control over: choose to be positive!

Toolman :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I get beat by women, kids on 80s, some guy named AL on an XR100, and Ivan ALL THE TIME. So just remember, there is always somebody out there that should be more embarrassed than you.

The only thing that matters is if you have fun or not......and trust me, getting blown away by some big adult guy on an XR100 is not fun....and I think I have a 150cc, 35 horsepower advantage on him.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
but shouldn't horsepower count for something?

Only if you hold the throttle open longer ;)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Riding with better riders and learning from them will make you faster. When riding with someone that's slower or even the same speed as me I feel as if I'm just cursieing along and not pushing myself.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Yeah, definitely don't be so hard on yourself. It is only the 2nd race of the season. That is what you said, right? Sorry, short term memory! Too many head injuries..

At least you don't have your dad getting mad at you when you get passed by a girl on a 65, or an XR100!! That is the worse one I think. I am on a CR125 bored .80 over making it a 134, and I get PASSED by an XR100. Although KX65 are bad too. My dad is always like, you have the best bike out there..why aren't you number one..and goes on and on.
I just tell him the bike is as good as the rider. Then walk away. He usually shuts up for awhile.

Anyway, it's only the 2nd race for this year. Probably didn't ride much or at all over the winter. You know now, that you have a few things to work on. Honestly though, I've noticed that many people (around here) don't pay much attention to the Woman's classes. This is the time the majority of them use to go to the bathroom, and get food...or talk. So, no one noticed or even cared. Just go out there, and ride the best you can.
Good luck in your next race.

Hot4Teacher

Apr 21, 2002
At least you are out there ON the track in the fight and not standing on the sidelines watching it happen. I am sure you have heard that saying "Better to be a racer for a second than a spectator for a lifetime." or something like that. Also, it could be at the end of the season. At least now you can strive to improve and then compare yourself to the riders at the end of the season. I'm sure they call you "firecracker" for a reason. Now it's time to get the home fires burnin'. Good luck!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Sharla, that is why I don't race - I suck, I'm too slow blah blah blah.
You and others l admire because you're out there doing it - I'm on the sidelines watching, or helping out.
I've said in the past I'm waiting till I'm good enough for the novice class & that's the honest truth.
So bah humbug to you sucking, gal, as far as I'm concerned, you rock :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks guys.

I have practiced a LOT, worked on as many problem areas as I can, ridden with faster riders (THAT'S not hard since everybody is faster than me), read magazine articles and even taken a couple of MX schools. So at this point I KNOW all of this stuff in my head, I just can't do it. I appreciate the advice though.

As for "just being out there," it's not enough for me. Silly I know but while it is fun, I hate myself if I don't do as well as I think I should. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not going to win any trophies, but still I know I could do better than I did.

So anyway, it's off to the track to work some more.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Carla, Sometimes bigger is not always faster! My son was so much more confident and faster when he was still riding his kx80. He was fearless! He could jump higher Conner faster pull better wheelies, on the smaller bike. Now he rides a kdx 220 and is riding so much slower. With your size and strength, you could be fearless on an 85 or 100 too!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Sharla- As long as you're having fun, then just coming across the finish line is an accoplishment! You looked like you were having fun the last time I rode with you; remember THAT's the most important thing!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey Sharla, at least YOU've been out riding twice already!  I haven't even started my bike up since last October.  :|

I'm struggling through the same thing-- I have yet to finish an enduro out here.  Dave keeps telling me to concentrate more on RIDING, and less on RACING.  I think most of my problem is mental-- I'm expecting too much, and not letting things happen in their own time.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Originally posted by altagirl
You definitely have nothing to be embarassed about! I know I admire you for just being out there! Don't be discouraged.

I completely and totally agree. You've got to give yourself credit just for trying. I may be just a beginner, but I know that I certainly wouldn't be caught dead in a race...unless it's with children on slow bikes!!!! Just practice, practice, practice...I'm sure you'll be in first place in no time! ;)

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Sharla,
I was duking it out with a 6 year old at the last track playday...and mostly he won...but it was a blast. The few times I've really felt fast out there was when my cornering speed was in good form. Get someone to work with you on how hard to go til where in the corner, slam on the brakes to make it around, and then gas it good coming out. But I've found for me the approach speed and where to brake at the last moment is the most important part of a fast corner.
That's a great photo btw!
-Susan
BBR230

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Hang in there Sharla, it will get better. Practice makes permanent (sp?) so make sure you practice correctly so you don't develop bad habits that will slow you down in the race. We all support ya keep at it. :thumb:

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Riding is supposed to be fun. When you stop having fun, you'll become unintrested. You have only been riding how long? A few years? Don't be so hard on yourself and stop expecting so much! Stop worrying about the other riders and concentrate on yourself. Enjoy what your doing and just ride your own race. It will come with time. I give anybody doing MX credit since I'd rather avoid big gaps and ping-pong between trees instead.

I learned to ride on a moped when I was 8. I didn't have a 'running' motorcycle till I was 16. I've been riding ever since and didn't feel ready to race till almost four years later. I raced off and on until last season when I raced the whole season. The reason I mention this is to give you my example of how long it took before I felt comfortable and compent enough to compete. IT will take time to build speed! Eventually, it will all slowly fall into place. Just be patient! And don't give up!

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Last time we went riding out at an area that had a track I rode around on trails until everyone else went home and then went out and did the "Worlds Slowest Lap". (i.e. nearly stalling going up the jumps and stuff and riding around a bunch of the whoops). I mostly just wanted to see what it looked like from a first hand perspective - and it definitely made me have more respect for anyone who can even ride real laps on it, let alone race!

Have patience. While I've never raced a motorcycle, I have raced mountain bikes and a big part of racing is experience racing in addition to experience riding - finding your routine, learning to deal with the excess adrenaline and stress, and learning to enjoy it. I just started racing DH last year and have told myself if I am physically capable of riding the course, I'm doing the race. No matter how bad my time will be compared to other people. Starting riding DH at age 28 didn't make things easy, but it's still been a lot of fun - mostly from the aspect of looking at a course I didn't think I could ride and piecing it together one tough spot at a time until I could ride it top to bottom. That feeling of accomplishment is addictive and I'm not doing anything that amazing! Maybe you should try focusing your goals on personal successes rather than on what place you finish in. (How much you can improve your lap time from training to race day? I don't know what it should be for MX, but try to find some sort of stat that you can look at to keep track of your improvement - even if you were racing the same competitors every time they can have good or bad days.) Bottom line is you never know who you're going to end up competing against - heck, you could end up racing a bunch of people who should be pros sandbagging in your class. (My first XC race one girl in Beginner class was bragging how she's won dozens of races over the past few years - hello? Wouldn't that inherently NOT make you a beginner??) Don't let your finishing position bother you - you're impressing people just because you are willing to compete.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
" To succeed, every athlete must learn to deal with mistakes and failures. All champions realize that the path to personal excellence is cluttered with obstacles. Arriving at the top is a process that involves many setbacks. Champions accept this process, understanding that you can't stretch your limits without encountering some rough moments along the way."

I realize you were venting but in doing so you are going to get some advice. (And I hope the advice helps) Your first problem was you started the race already accepting that 2 or 3 girls would automatically beat you. WHY??? When I ran track in practice my coach told me that if I got to the starting line and had worked as hard as I could all week doing what he had told me and not slacking then I had every right to be as good as them. And you know what, he was right. The times I slacked I lost. The times I worked hard and believed I could win, I did.

No Power is NOT an advantage in motocross. It generally is not in most motor sports. In trials they kept Dougie Lampkin on a 125 until he was 19 or so, so that he would rely on technique and not motor. Sometimes the added torque will make you tired and you spend more time trying to control the power then riding the bike. I rode a GG 280 trials bike last year and the power was way too much. Now I am on a 200 and love it.

Please go to www.dongreene.com. On the home page there is a place that you can take a test. Take it and then print it out. It will tell you what areas you need to work on such as disciple, mental quite, focus, determination, etc. . . Then buy the book and read it and be prepared to get better. 8 weeks before the ISDE I broke my collar bone. I could have decided I could not ride but my desire was so strong I rode with it broken and in pain at times. Then I got this book and realized that I could spend a lot of time on mental imagery and that would help me just as much. I never imagined myself at the ISDE in any other day then the final moto on day 6. That is why I am convinced I finished is because my mind had already told my body I could do it. I hope it helps and I hope the next report you post is that you got 1 or 2 places better, and the next you got even better. Let us know.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by Lissa
Riding is supposed to be fun.
EXACTLY! ... and keep in mind that racing/winning doesn't have to be the end goal for everybody's riding career. For me, the riding is the end in itself. Anytime you get the chance to ride, then you win! Keep it fun and I would be honored to ride with you again anytime, girlie!
:)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks for the compliments on the picture. It is a good pic, the photographers did a good job. There is a cornering one too here Sorry about the watermarks.

I have been riding a total of 3 years now, and racing (counting the first few intermittent hare scrambles and such) for almost the same. I started doing more and more MX, especially after I got the KTM, the better I got at it. I am still not good at it but I am better. So I have been practicing on MX tracks for almost as long as I’ve been riding, although up until last year I still rode more trails than MX. Now it’s a pretty even mix.

First off, I DO still have fun. I would just have MORE fun if I did better. I am competitive by nature, and right now I am not skilled enough to back up my attitude.

Secondly, I know I am being very hard on myself, but if I am not, I won’t get any better! I can’t be complacent with my current level of riding or I wouldn’t push myself.

I know horsepower isn’t a replacement for skill, I was just kind of being sarcastic. Bbbom, come racing, I need someone to moto with! Everyone else just passes me. I think my bike fits me well. It weighs very little, has more power than I need but that power is very usable. I have ridden 125s and 250s and I like them both, but I would get in trouble on a 250, and a 125 would not be as versatile for me. The 200 I can ride on the track or in the woods. Suspension is the only issue but I am taking care of that tomorrow.

I know kids are usually faster too, they have no fear of pain or death.

Half of my problem is mental—I tense up at a race and make more mistakes. I get tunnel vision, I get arm pump too fast from being tense, and I stop thinking and just react. Which means I take the same line as I did last time or as the person in front of me, and go back to bad habits. I am getting better about that part but I still do it. I don’t have anyone to count lap times for me.

As for accepting that girls will beat me, if I set unrealistic goals for myself, I will only be that much more disappointed. Sarah and Lexi are much faster than I am. Catching up to Lacey and Kalee is a much more attainable goal for now.

Thanks again girls.

The fact is, I HAVE improved a lot. I am hitting jumps I couldn’t do last year and picking up more speed in corners. The whoops are still a big problem for me but I learned some new techniques that help—at the MX school I took, the instructor had me way far back on the bike and gripping the bike hard with my knees. While I am not a whole lot faster, I don’t feel as out of control either. And I worked on starts a lot--I got a really good start in my second moto. Everybody passed me again but oh well, I got off the line in 2nd or so. (hard to tell--we were on the same gate as the 80 Open Beginner class)

There is so much else out there that I feel like it is RIGHT THERE and I SHOULD be able to do it but haven’t tried it yet. I know I could clear about 3 or 4 more jumps if I would just pin it and go. I feel like my form has improved—I have even gotten a few compliments on it (thanks guys)—I just need to do it all FASTER.

So I am going to practice like hell and hopefully my next race report won’t be so pissed off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom