tonester

Aug 10, 2001
I have a 01 CR 250 and am in the process of rebuilding my forks with stiffer springs and 10 weight oil. I have run into a problem with my damper. When I replaced the oil in my one damper assembly it isn't pushing out the push rod the same distance as the other damper. I have rebuilt forks before but never these twin chamber type. I have stroked the rod to make sure that all the air bubbles are out and double checked the oil level. Once I reassemble the damper and push the push rod through it's full stroke it never comes all the way back to its fully extended position, yet the other damper does. It comes about 1.5 - 2 inches short. Do I have a weak damper spring or am I missing something? Is this common or even a big deal? Thanks in advance!!!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Tonester,
The problem is one fork is underfilled, and has air in.. This creates a postive spring preload and causes the rode to exstend all the way..

This reelates back to a ealier string but if you want the rod to exstend all the way out with no addtioanl load, don't completly purge the clyinder.. Purge the cylinder with the spring a few turns out... Then purge and seat the spring... Now the fork will exstend all the way... If you doing SX its cool but for mx this is a bad idea.. Check out my rebuild instructions for you fork..

Regards,
Jer

CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
Good to be here Jer,

I see that you have been rockin' pretty hard out there. I have trying to catch up a bit on your "antics". LOved the airport bit. The spring popping out of the briefcase had me a-rollin'!!

I had put my riding on the backburner and went out and got hitched. It was official March 23rd. So now I can play again.

I switched from the YZ426 to a more friendly(for my riding) KaTooM EXC 400. BTW, it is in dire need of a rear suspension rebuild, little squeaking goin' on.

Thanks for shouting out at me. We'll stay in touch. Keep on with the biz, You are obviously taking 'em all by storm.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom