DANGER!Yamaha Recalls Throttle Pulley on '96-01 yz

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Here is an email that I was sent by Motoworldracing.com:

DANGER! Yamaha Recalls Throttle Pulley on '96-'01 YZ's

It has been determined that a possible condition which relates to safety may exist in 1996-2001 model YZ125 and YZ250 motorcycles and in 1997 WR250 motorcycles. In affected motorcycles, a loose or bent inner wire of the throttle cable might derail off of the rotor (cable pulley) in the throttle housing on the handlebar.
If this occurs, the throttle cable could be pinched between the rotor and the housing, causing the throttle to stick. This could result in an accident/crash and personal injury or death.

The part number for the new style rotor pulley is 5NY-26273-00-00.

Please contact your local dealer for this recall!

It is very important that you DO NOT ride your motorcycle (if it is one of the listed models) until the modification is made.

Thank you and ride safe...with your new pulley

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
the cable slips off that little pulley on my YZ sometimes after a crash...it never made the throttle stick though, just gave the throttle a little extra slack. but thanks for the heads up MRK. since its a recall that means the dealership will replace it for free right?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
When the cable derials, as said above you get gobs of play and the throtle gets very notchy. This has only happened once to me, when I assembled the housing wrong.
BTW, RM's and KX's use the same exact throttle assembly.

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
so are we supposed to get new throttle cables or new throttle housing or what? Man this would be great if we get the whole new setup. My throttle housing cracked in a crash! Im assuming it is just the cable though, correct?

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
I broke my throttle housing assembly a while back and replaced it with the Motion Pro one. Does anyone know if this is something I need to worry about? They look identical. The motion pro was a complete replacement, throttle tube, housing that clamps to the bar and all internal parts like the cable pully. If anyone knows please respond as I do not want to go launching in the air for some freaky reason.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
1-2 weeks ???

No way !!!

Thats what My local dealer said to know if it is a recall, Broward Motorsports has no record of this recall, and will not do anything unless I pay $$$.

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
YAMAMOTO... thats funny cause my dealer doesnt know anything about this recall yet. When i asked them they thought i was kidding. How is it that we know so much sooner than the dealers?

Payday2

Sep 29, 1999
Dealerships won't get the parts for another week or two. My dealership is aware of the issue, but won't get the parts for another week. I got a letter from Yamaha to take to the dealership. Take the letter and show them.

BTW - all you're going to get is a new plastic pulley.

J&K

wardd

Aug 17, 2000
What exactly is meant by the throttle pulley? I think they are simply referring to the stock plastic throttle tube. I use a Works aluminum tube on my '01 YZ250, so I'm guessing I'm ok. I'm still going to hit them up for the new tube and possibly a set of grips. They'd have to replace the grip if it was glued to the stock tube anyway, right???

Wardd...

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Remeber when Jeff Emig broke his back on a YZ 250? According to him the crash was caused by a stuck throttle. Is this the possible cause of that problem?

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by IDkTm
Remeber when Jeff Emig broke his back on a YZ 250? According to him the crash was caused by a stuck throttle. Is this the possible cause of that problem?

More than likely. I don't need this happening to me.

Fixxxer78

Sep 29, 2000
I avoid my local dealer at all cost but looks like I’ll have to let them touch her. I called them after I got the notice and the guy said, "What recall?"

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
If that is the case then why is Yamaha the only one to have a recall? I would bet there is some similarities between the two but are not exactly the same other wise suzuki and kawasaki would be stupid not to have recall as well.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I bought my 1996 YZ125 used. I have the certificate of origin, but the bike is not registered or anything. I don't think I'll get a letter, so what should I do?

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
want my wife to do it for you?

Originally posted by Fixxxer78
I avoid my local dealer at all cost but looks like I’ll have to let them touch her. I called them after I got the notice and the guy said, "What recall?"

I am sure the dealer will give you the part so you can do it, I know mine will.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Got my letter from Yamaha yesterday. Yeah - I'm pretty sure it's just the round plastic cable pulley piece in the throttle housing that the cable sits in the groove.

It's funny - they say avoid riding your bike until you get it fixed... what about guys on the '96 YZ's who have been riding problem free for 5 years... funny! :confused: Like they aren't gonna be out riding this weekend...

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
This is my second YZ and have never had a problem. I hate to think there was a potential problem just waiting to happen for the last 3 years I have been on a YZ. Kind of a scary thought.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I just called Yamaha and they said that all I need to do is bring my VIN# to the dealer and they wil order me the part. Also I can have them transfer the ownership of the bike to me, the second owner of the bike.

gp

Jan 19, 2000
Mine fell off that pulley once.

I'm guessing they made the groove deeper. The throttle just felt strange so I pulled it apart and the cable fell off the pulley. Put it back on and I haven't had a problem since. I will get it replaced though.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
a while back

I posted about being K.O.ed and if you noticed that week I was in search of a throttle cable. Then I flamed NCY for not shipping my parts on time.

I will not even bother trying to go after yamaha because of this, because I know that there are dangers.

But Mark my words ....that pully is what did me in.

Like I said I was K.O.ed so I do not know really much of what happened but my friends said that "dude you never let off"

after that crash I found my throttle was stuck wide open.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For those who may have missed this.

Top Bottom