GHam847345

Dec 5, 1999
I just finished building a 79 XS650 and still got half a winter to go.Now I have this horrible urge to veture over to Motorcycle Trader to look for another project to justify spending so much time in the garage.My wife is going to resist this latest urge to spend more quality time with the kids!

------------------
Member UAW Local 961 Thanks for buying Dodge Trucks

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Love those 650's. We just got finished rebuilding an 80' 650, can't wait until street riding weather. I've got my eye on another one already.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

GHam847345

Dec 5, 1999
OT-I love them old twins too but what caught my eye about your post was the WR250!How's the parts bin on them old rascals,I plan on doing some serious trail riding this year and may venture back into vintage racing if they(the boys)want to try racing.

------------------

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
No offense, but I had a 1975 XS650, and man I hated that bike. I had to adjust the valves every ride, the electrical system was very bad. I don't even remember how many ignitions I had to put on it. Even with a new clutch it would slip in traffic. I could go on, but you get my point
wink.gif
It was very clean however. Black with gold stripes. It was all original. Nice looking old bike. I was able to sell it to a collector in New Jersey. I did a little dance in the street the day I sold it and watched it go off into the sunset in the back of his truck
smile.gif

Coop

[This message has been edited by Coop (edited 01-05-2001).]

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
GHAM, The parts for the WR have been pretty easy to get. I race it up in Washington at VDR and some of the other Husky riders have given me leads on parts. Some of the things that were suggested to me to do is get a Mag swingarm, forks and triple clamps off a 74' Husky 125, a Circle F pipe and aftermarket reed valve set-up. So far I've got everything except the reed set-up. So if anyone knows where to get one, I'm interested. Here's some pics of my bikes: www.geocities.com/bulliebutch

------------------
91 KDX250
81 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

[This message has been edited by Oregon Trail (edited 01-05-2001).]

GHam847345

Dec 5, 1999
COOP-I understand the electric probs,If I sat wrong on my XS a fuse would short,Walmart remedied that problem for less than 5bucks-but rotor/stator failure is major money,fortunetly I got a spare engine
OT-I'm real jelous of your bike collection'also looks like you live in a beautiful area,I'm curious what kind of pickup that is in the background,looks like a mid 60's Dodge by the cab

------------------

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
GHam, you have Dodge on the brain. No, it's a 72' Ford F250 Camper Special. It's my trash and wood hauler. I do have a buddy that picked up a 68' 3/4 ton Dodge in fair shape.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

GHam847345

Dec 5, 1999
OT-must be all the hoopla about our impending demise(massive layoffs,plant closures)got my six-eyes(bifocals)seeing things

------------------

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Reading a post about XS 650's is the last thing I would of thought I would read on DRN.

Sorry to hear about the reliability problems you guys had.

I had a 72' XS650. It eventually became my superstreet racer. The engine was pumped up to a full 750, with all the flat track mod's that were used at that time. It was a very reliable engine. If only I had spent the same amount money on buying a frame that didn't have a hinge in the middle.

To flat track around a road race course now that's fun.

I was much younger then.

Top Bottom