Darrel Abbott of Pantera Dead in Concert Shooting

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Man I can't believe this. What's wrong with people? :bang:

(FOXNEWS) COLUMBUS, Ohio — A man charged onstage at a packed heavy metal show and opened fire on the band and the crowd, killing at least four people and wounding two others before an arriving police officer gunned him down, authorities said.

The band Damageplan had just begun their first song Wednesday night at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire, first targeting guitarist "Dimebag" Darrel Abbott, shooting him multiple times at point-blank range, a witness said.

Police would not confirm the identities of the victims.

Abbott, one of metal's top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were original members of thrash rock pioneers Pantera, one of the most popular metal bands of the early 1990s.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet away from the stage when he noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said. He said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at members of the band, the gunman fired into the crowd. Mull said a police officer who arrived shortly after the shooting began shot and killed the gunman.

"If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse," he said. "It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

Mull said more people could have been shot and left the scene before authorities arrived.

After the shooting began, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

"It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show. "I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," she said.

Other members of Damageplan include vocalist Patrick Lachman and bass player Bob Zilla, according to the band's Web site.

A message left with Atlantic Records, which oversees the record label on which Damageplan records, was not immediately returned.

Damageplan's Web site said Darrel and Vinnie Abbott grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area where their father Jerry Abbott owned a recording studio. Another entry on the site lists the elder Abbott as a country-western songwriter.

Telephone numbers for both Darrell and Jerry Abbott are unlisted and could not be reached early Thursday by The Associated Press.

Pantera, known for its brutally hard, fast and aggressive sound, recorded four albums between 1990 and 1996. They attracted a massive cult following and the band's third release, "Far Beyond Driven," debuted at No. 1 in 1994, surprising chart-watchers and critics alike.

RIP Darrel

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Bummer.

nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
There is so much hate in the world today.
Actually had a guy tell me, "hopefully as many families will be destroyed by the Iraq war as the Vietnam conflict."
I just about lost it.

Sad to hear about Dimebag.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Dimebag was one of the biggest influences on me musically. He was one of the most genuinly nice guys and was always willing to hang with his fans. He was a fan of the fans! He was not at all the typical metal head or rock and roll type. Just a laid back dude who shredded on guitar!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
today in life is getting very hard with all the violence. My buddy called me at 1:30am from new york to tell me the news about this. I cant understand how the gun got into the venue to begin with and how the guy actually got onto the stage to open fire. I guess really no one is safe in todays world.

RIP Dimebag

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Rest In Peace Darrell. Like Thunda said, he was a fan of his fans, and an absolute treasure to the metal world. What triggered that kid to shoot him down, I will never understand. Such a waste.

Security can't control everything. I've never been patted down when entering a bar or venue. The large venues here don't even have metal detectors at the doors. Very scary.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I understand that it was a bar, but for someone to be playing there like darrell, you would expect them to search. Where i went to school and where i live now we were always searched and scanned with a metal detector before an event, whether it was a local band or what not. I guess you cant stop everything anyways. Its just something that could have been prevented

dante

Mar 24, 2004
that is wierd, sureal, and scary... why would somebody do something like that... that's retarded, it pisses me off... My little brother is such a fan of dimebags, he's got the signiture pickups and the gear, that guy was cool as could be... Then just people hanging out watching a band getting killed, it's insane... there are some real dirtbags out there... How do people get so messed up to just go killing people... the guy must have been hopped up on crack or something... Jeese when I hear stuff like this it feels like the whole world is going to hell in a handbag and it is I guess... that sucks, it just sucks...

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Man this has bummed me all day. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do such an idiotic thing. I'm glad the cop killed that scumbag. No "insanity" plea this time. Enjoy your dirtnap Nathan Gale. It's better than you deserve.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Vampyrz said:
Man this has bummed me all day. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do such an idiotic thing. I'm glad the cop killed that scumbag. No "insanity" plea this time. Enjoy your dirtnap Nathan Gale. It's better than you deserve.

I'm still really bummed too... horriable...I've been reading everyhting I can find about this story and I heard the guy who did this was angry that Pantera broke up... How stupid a reason is that... I can't stop thinking of a Fugazi show I went to, and a stupid fan was creating a scene because Ian the front man for Fugazi had broken up the band Minor Threat... This loser kept going on and on making a fool of himself... Ian was clearly frustrated, playing a small small place and here you have this dork sceaming about Minor Threat... Being a celebrity must suck...

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
That sounds about right Dante. I heard that the idiot who shot Dime was wearing a hockey jersey. Since the Stanley Cup was damaged at a party hosted by Vinny Paul after the Dallas Stars won it, I wondered if he was some deranged hockey fan. I guess you never know what kind of moron you'll run into.

Yeah being famous must suck. I'll take being a no one any day.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Damn, this has had me bummed all day. Darrell seemed like he was a really cool guy and he definitely had a distinctive sound when he soloed and riffed. I remember the first time I picked up a Pantera album....absolutely blown away by the aggression he was able to convey while at the same time sounding thoughtful about what he played when soloing. Even if you're not a metal fan, I recommend checking out some of his stuff with Pantera. Vulgar Display of Power is still my favorite. We'll miss you Dimebag!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I feel bad for all those involved, well except the loser with a gun.

I heard from a friend today that the guy who did the shooting was an ex-member of Pantera and was out for his sick-type revenge. I don't know how accurate it is, but one thing is for sure, he didn't walk away either.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
A damn shame. One of the most influential musicians of our time. There's a few bands that really inspired me to play music - his was one of them.

Thanks and RIP, Dimebag.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Someone said:
I heard from a friend today that the guy who did the shooting was an ex-member of Pantera and was out for his sick-type revenge. I don't know how accurate it is, but one thing is for sure, he didn't walk away either.

Phil, Vinny nor Rex were involved.. On the news tonight said the shooter was an ex marine..

Kinda off subject, but i seen Pantera probably 6 or 8 times, never really watched him play, i was in the Pit :yikes: Some fun times :laugh:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Kawidude said:
Even if you're not a metal fan, I recommend checking out some of his stuff with Pantera. Vulgar Display of Power is still my favorite. We'll miss you Dimebag!

Def check it out, Far beyond Driven showed the talent he had whether it was crazy metal or a slower pace, that album had them both which showed his skills. A sad day that all this happened

Oct 10, 2004
That really sucked we lost one of the greatest speed metal guitar players ever
Weired concidence but it was exactly 24 years to the day that john lennon (from the beatles) was killed.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

This sucks terribly. I couldn't even believe it had actually happened when I first read about it. A sad sad day....

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The jerk sounds like he was not playing with a full deck. The news was saying he told his friends that Pantera has stolen songs he wrote. What an @&$hole!!! The loser didn't have anything better to do than dream crap like that up. I saw Pantera in concert many times, Dimebag was a great guitarist.

RIP Darrel

Afterburn

Nov 1, 2004
This is awful and I hope Vinnie will be alright. I have seen Pantera some 9 times or something. I used to work at the Gorge Ampitheatre and those guys Phil, Dimebag, Rex and Vine were pretty cool behind the scenes.

Little Factoid...My cousin Dean Carr, designed and photographed the Far Beyond Driven Album. At Phil's house he has an entire basement full of haunted house objects and strange artifacts.

Sad sad day.

Top Bottom