Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
jstucki (re: first 10-31 post)

Certainly, you are more than welcome to not bother with it.

I'm unsure how you come up with '..more trouble than its (sic) worth' if you don't know anything about it.

Well, actually I am quite sure how you come up with it.

By being uninformed and uninvolved.

.....and you're more than welcome to stay that way. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
JSTUCKI. First, thanks for cluttering this post with non-value added information and then forcing those who give a damn to respond with more clutter. :moon: Here is your sign...

The RB Carb mod has worked great for me. I was drawn to the mod after reading posts from DRN members who have a passion for the KDX and their owners. These core DRN members have proven to be extremely knowledgable regarding jetting and suspension mods as a whole. Knowledge is power! The DRN KDX major players (we know who they are) have dang near perfected all of the major mods for the KDX to include jetting RB carbs, suspension, head work, porting, etc....

Now that I am off of my soap box, Ron was able to take my virgin carb (brand new) and work his magic. After a few phone calls Ron had modified my carb and setup my jetting dang near spot on! The mod gives me chugging 4 stroke like characteristics on the bottom which helps me (a rookie woods rider) poke along in the woods with control of my wheelspin.

Bottom line, the mod has done exactly what I had hoped and read that it would do... :thumb:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I started this thread with my 200, not 220, in mind. My bottom end stock characteristics are quite different than that of a 220.... :thumb:

Last edited:

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Thanks RTL.....

That's the kind of honest and straight forward feedback I was looking for. As I have been on four strokes for so long, and have just recently got back into a two stroke, information from people who "are doing it" is invaluable. All of my recent two stroke experience is with snowmoblies, which aren't as touchy by nature, with the drive system they employ.
Thanks again, everybody! An R.B. Designs carb mod will be the first thing on my list for mods this winter!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I disagree.
The mod makes a huge difference in performance & tractability.
You can change how hard and when the "hit" occurs with needle & slide selection.
It was harder in the past before all the home grown R&D.
The thread in archives section shows just how many guys love the mod :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :thumb:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
This topic is too important for tuning new or old kdx's, whether there 200's or 220's. If you have constructive criticism that applies to this topic. Fine, post it. If not don't waste the band with and please delete anything that's cluttering this topic thank you.

gooleo

Nov 5, 2002
i have a 2002 200 and thinking of the rb mod. does it make sense that it is already boared to 35 stock? i'm wondering if all of the other modifications, done at rb designs, as well as the extra 1mm would really make a difference?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
If you have the time & patience to refine jetting, the mod will greatly increase performance & tractability.
As stated earlier, I've yet to see anything other than rave reviews.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'does it make sense that it is already boared to 35 stock'

???

No. Because it is 35mm stock. It is not 'bored' in the sense of having been changed 'from' something else (notwithstanding keihin's original manufacturing process). The carb as fitted to the kdx200 is spec'd @ 35mm.

There must be more to your question?

re: 'would 1mm really make a difference?'

Simply put, 'Yes!' There are of course, '..all the other modifications'.

Not to be snotty..but you certainly cannot have read anything on this forum about the RB carb mod that brings you to ask such a question. So...I'll assume I am not understanding something.

Please do post your question again with a bit more explanation if there is a question.

Cheers!

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
i JUST SENT MY CARB TO RB DESIGN- I LIVE IN IOWA
SUMMER 70-95DEG SEA LEVEL WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE TO START MY JETTING AT AND WHAT PIPES WORK THE BEST AND SILENCERS TOO THANKS

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Ron will get you close on the jetting, talk with him and fine tune from there. You can run a torque or rev setup with the carb, it works great with both... Pipe and silencer threads are abundant, check out the SEARCH feature. :thumb:

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
HEY guys, got my RB carb back does. Is this carb jetted like a kdx 200 carb? I need a starting point. Problem is it is cold where i live and i'm thinking that 160 main is rich am i close?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Read RTLs post just above yours. I'm sure ron is MUCH closer to right than a couple of years ago. Hopefully you talked to him SOME about how your bike is setup.

Doubt a 160 is right. Is that what's in it? I'll run a 160 or 162 with a -30 pipe in the sand at or near sea level.

Where I usually ride (2-4000'..temps right now running from 30-mid 50ºs) I'm running a 40/152..and that's with a CEK/4 needle.

A torque pipe will drop that by at least one...to 38/150.

What needle did you get back?

Good luck. The RB carb is a wonderful thing!!!

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
The needels i got back were a CEK and a CEL. MY carb was jetted for 70deg 500-1000 feet 42/152main with cek at 3 clip. i have a fmf torque pipe/sparky silencer and i want to run boysen rad valve oh no air box lid. could u explain elavation jetting/ilive in iowa would that be sea level? Hey what type of plug works the best BR8 EVX OR EV OR EG DOES B8EGV WORK IN A 01 KDX 220 ANY LUCK WITH IRDIUM PLUGS?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
some times I even run a #7 plug. your bike is getting close to the way mines set up. all you need is a little porting and a carb up grade. jetting is everything you don't need those fancy plugs to have it run great.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by GREENHORNET
The needels i got back were a CEK and a CEL. MY carb was jetted for 70deg 500-1000 feet 42/152main with cek at 3 clip. i have a fmf torque pipe/sparky silencer and i want to run boysen rad valve oh no air box lid. could u explain elavation jetting/ilive in iowa would that be sea level? Hey what type of plug works the best BR8 EVX OR EV OR EG DOES B8EGV WORK IN A 01 KDX 220 ANY LUCK WITH IRDIUM PLUGS?

I would say that you are pretty good with that jetting to start. What are you temps that you be riding in? If its colder than 70 you might wanna pop a 155 main in it.

Top Bottom