angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
As I told Dirt Bike Dave, God must love dirtbikes.
I met Dave at the CC turnoff at 8:15 am. We quickly drove to Oak Flat cg and suited up. It was somewhere in the low 30's temperature wise. I layered up as usual, as did Dave. I could see some snow on the peaks as we drove in, but couldn't tell how much. We headed north out of camp and began our fun. Anything that wasn't in direct sunlight was frozen solid, all day long. We shot down a fun downhill trail that emptied out into a small valley where mining used to be done. On our way back out, we had serious traction issues in one shady/icy section. We fought our way through and now headed east. We found a trail I was very familiar with and followed it for several fun miles. As we climbed, I stopped at a clearing and informed Dave that we would soon be blasting through some snow. Serious snow. We found a trail that was untouched, but far from innocent! I pointed to Dave for a hard left hand turn up a steep slope of 50/50 snow and mud. I couldn't look back and chance losing momentum, so I blazed through several inches of virgin snow, at times literally searching for the trail with my front wheel. I stopped at another clearing and listened for Dave. Sure enough, he was close behind. I knew it was Dave, because we had the whole area to ourselves. After debating on weather to do the same trail again, I decided that there was plenty more to see to the southeast. We stayed on single track untill dumping out on the Idria side onto road 1. Just past the reservoir, we went hard left and off into more snow. We snaked through manzanita tunnels and flume like trails for miles. We stopped for a short break and switched bikes. I found one of my favorite trails and jammed down a razorback ridge into some more supreme single track. I played slip and slide on an icy uphill and was rudely spit off of Daves CRE250. We attempted to make it up the slope to no avail. After a short double back, we continued on. Snow was heavy, so I headed for lower elevation. We headed down on fire road trying to keep our rear wheels from passing our front wheels. I've never had more fun on fire road. We merged with the paved KCAC road and dual sported for a couple miles. Near the 'playground' we crossed the creek and busted through more virgin trail on our way to the plane crash site. Conditions were perfect here. We wound our way around and ended up at Spanish Lake. We found mud that felt like lithium grease and then would be frozen solid around the next bend. We would stop many times on the way back to camp to admire the great views. We could clearly see the snow capped Sierra Nevada range to the east and the Los Padres range to the west. Awesome! We cracked the frozen lids off hundreds of puddles on the way to camp. We struggled for traction in some areas and roosted hard in others. I hit reserve with about 5 miles to go. Yeah, we were loving it. After getting back to our trucks, we had lunch and talked about our ride. After a short cool down ride, we loaded up and promised to do it again as we enjoyed some of the best cookies ever made courtesy of Daves wife.
To all those planning a trip, bring lots of warm clothing and fire wood. I'll see some of you there someday.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Thanks for letting me know what I missed and the cookies too. I'm starting to think you guys have more fun riding without me instead of with me. At least Rick didn't show too. Whats up Rick, bike still broke? Gonna fix it buy Reno? Jim and Dave good to see you guys had fun. Hope to ride with you guys soon.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Jim & Dave,
Sounds like you both had a grat time! Great ride report!!

RetSenior,
YES!!!!!! My bike is still down!!! Crap!!!! I'm so.......... I am working on putting the GG back together..... the parts list IS LONG!!!

Rick

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great Report Angry Jim! Too bad you two aren't coming to CC for New Year's!

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Nice report Jim. I've probably only ridden 5% of the trails there in my 6 visits to CC, look forward to riding farther out sometime. Hollister was hook up city yesterday.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Thanks for the great ride and report, Jim! I really had a lot of fun.

Rick - get that bike working! Jim's '03 carves tight enough to please even a GG 200 rider. The motor is sweet, too. Stock jetting seemed darn near perfect and throttle response is immediate.

Besides a good ride, the recipe for turning Angry Jim into Happy Jim involves white chocalate chips, pecans, and orange extract.

See you all in Reno!

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Rick,
What's up with the GG, besides the radiator?

Between wet dirt and those cookies.... I was very happy.
I may try and make it down to CC 12/30. I'm fighting off a cold now and I was supposed to go work on my dads place this weekend. It all depends on how I feel.

Dave, your map is on the way.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Jim,
I called Smackover and odered my parts today. Of course the radiator is TOAST! I am waiting for the radiator to arrive from across the pond. I am replacing a few other parts, pipe springs, exhaust manifold gaskest, pipe O-rings, radiator shroud, graphics & bars. The only parts that needed to be replaced from the "CRASH" was radiator, shroud & bars. The bars are "OK" but I nate riding with a teaked set of bars.
Other than that, the bike still rips!!

I'll be ready!!

Rick

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Gr8 report MeanJimmie!

Now DBDave: don'tcha go banging gears on that '03 200 of his, ya hear? - it needs to be in good shape when I get it...

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Jim's adventure part 2: Rode some cool new singletrack trails there yesterday with Jim and Kelly. Plane crash trail and cabin dump trail score a 10 in my book. Steep, windey, tight with occasional suprises(like tree I kissed). Lots of slop on roads but singletrack and rut trails were very fun!

Top Bottom