Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Scuttlebutt on another web board I read is that Bailey wanted an SX only contract and instead Clear Channel ousted him and replaced him with Cameron Steele. Just another arrow through the hearts of true MX fans and the lack of quality programming if it's true.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
He got fired because he wanted to make some changes to the show. I think its a great move. People don't want to about all that racing crap that only a past champ can tell you about. You know if we want to bring the sport to the masses they need to keep the show pop'in. Guys with dyed hair and ear rings are what the kids want to see may be we will get to see some more nick nicks and big no footers, thats what its all about. JOKE. ESPN good move!!! I want to see more poker!!!

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
I'll really miss David, he would explain how a rider was going through a section faster than another, and when I would rewind and watch again, he was right. His insight and experience, and just his personality. He added to the experience for me.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I hope this isn't true. There are only a few people out there with Davids understanding of the sport and even fewer that have his ability to put it into words. I always feel like I learned something new after watching a race and listening him.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I can't stand listening too Robby Floyd, he's probably never ridden a bike :flame:

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Man that's a bummer if true. The only consolation would be hiring Rick Johnson for the racer's point of view.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
David Bailey was awesome....He could describe to the viewers what the riders were going through during the race (something people that have never raced wouldn't comprehend by just watching)...Describing different lines and strategies...

That WAS a STUPID move to fire David Bailey.....

The new guy SUCKS!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by OldassKDX
Is it letter writing time?

David responded through Steve Bruhn (TFS on Mototalk).

Originally posted by TFS on Mototalk
Just got a note from DB, who is reading all this and gets a warm and fuzzy from all the love.

I won't quote him directly and I'm not speaking for him specifically, but I know writing to get him back in isn't doing any good and thats not what he wants anyway. I guess its no secret that he was not liking the shows and would rather see people write about what they like and don't like in the programming.

From what I am hearing, DB had one foot out the door anyway, so the decision just speeds that up.

It's like a slow, fuzzy divorce. Everyone needs to shake hands, say nice things, and move on.

DB has his 10 years or whatever on the air and the solid respect of everyone. That's a nice way to leave it.

Seems DB had one foot out the door already due to unhappiness with the product and this just hastened the proceedings.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by rickyd

Gotta at least give him a chance, he probably had no choice in DB getting fired.. My $.02 worth

Well, I do like Cameron Steele....I think he does a very good job. Maybe the new guy will come around....He does have some energy in his voice so I'll give him that.

David just made it exciting...David made the show seem polished...He KNOWS the riders, their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses. He knows what the leader is feeling on the 10th lap with heavy pressure as he braces for the next set of whoops with intense armpump, out of breath, and numb hands.

I'm just really dissapointed...The show just seemd COMPLETE with the ex champ.

vern#19

Apr 23, 2000
Davids Insite to the actual events on the track will greatly missed. he was a person that when he said a rider was amazing or dumb you knew he was right.
As for his Broadcast partner last year he had NO understanding of riding let alone racing. If I got cut off as much as david did last year I would punt the guy over the berm.
So david if you read these posts where are you going so we may follow?

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
They got rid of Art the fart which made the races so much more pleasant, but the idiots that lost Bailey should have their a$&es kicked! My feeling is that if you don't ride off road then you don't have any place as a commentator for the sport.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Chili
Looks like it's a done deal. See this weeks RACERHEAD COLUMN for more info.

The "revolving booth" idea from DC in that article is a poor one. Bailey gave great understanding and consistency to the telecast. I personally can't stand revolving booth telecasts because you may be turned off from a particular race simply because the announcer is really irritating - and most motorcycle announcers I believe are annoying to listen too. Bailey made it feel more like an old Sunday NFL routine rather than the usual ESPN amateur night. If you did a poll, I don’t think you would find many listeners who weren’t really happy with Bailey – probably be a landslide.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by super rat
He got fired because he wanted to make some changes to the show. I think its a great move. People don't want to about all that racing crap that only a past champ can tell you about. You know if we want to bring the sport to the masses they need to keep the show pop'in. Guys with dyed hair and ear rings are what the kids want to see may be we will get to see some more nick nicks and big no footers, thats what its all about. JOKE. ESPN good move!!! I want to see more poker!!!

Good stuff rat.....you are real close. ya just left out the spiked chest protectors. Clearchannel has been going towards WWF with our favorite sport for some time now and DB just did not fit the bill. :|

portish

Jan 5, 2003
DB comments were damn good for my own riding he'd point out things that only a past champ would notice like line choice and technical stuff that these two new dummies arent going to know jack about. i'd cringe about some of the comments that other guy made. for 04 its gonna sound sumin like... "wow these guys are radical dude no no there bodatious mman wow duede check out the big air man awesome dude hows the babes here today cameron their insane man." or somin like that haha. yeah good one clear channel way to ruin a sport.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Cameron is a rider, not a past champ but still a rider. And personally, you could put John Madden and Pat Sumerall in the booth and I'd still watch it!

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
They should get rid of Todd Harris, that guys a joke. I was sick and tired of his stupid 4-stroke comments all season, what does he know? David is the only one who accually has experience.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I know I will show my age on this one, but Senior KX Rider "hit the point perfectly". And to add my 2 cents; Clear Channel must cruise the parking lot at Anaheim SX events to come up with this idea of firing(parting ways) with DB and replacing him with Cameron Steele and a "new guy. If you've ever watched alot of ESPN2 coverage over the years, just notice how Cameron Steele has changed his delivery from an easy going rider personality to this stupid, lame hip-hop character commenting on crap we riders just don't care about.
Face it -- we the crowd that is interested in good sport coverage are the minority. The majority audience must be Fubu wearing pit bike racers with a copy of Transworld MX in their back pocket and a trucker's cap worn sideways.

hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
According to the Racerhead column, ESPN was the reason Bailey got the axe. This really doesn't surprise me now. ESPN, the network that postpones without warning the airing of our beloved sport for women's softball, does not deserve the honor of hosting any form of motorcycle racing. Why is the dirt biking community beholden to them? Don't most people who have ESPN2 also have OLN or Speed Channel? This is getting very old.

Top Bottom