BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
What a race! 2 red flags, a 2-hour delay and a mandatory front tire change. Dunlop is going to be under fire for the poor tire performance.
Danny Eslick went down hard at 150 mph+ because of the front tire leading to the first red flag.
The winner, Jason DeSalvo, actually blew the engine on theom very lap that the AMA red flagged the race. Because he made it to the start/finish line, he was still eligible to race after the red flag. The 2-hour delay allowed the mechanics to put in the practice bike engine and, to boot, he was in third on the previous lap to the red flag allowing him a 3 position start on the grid for the restart.
At the finish, Dane Westby went down due to another rider hitting his front brake lever and then another rider hitting him from behind. Both downed riders and their bikes crossed the finish line for 6 and 7 place finishes. Supersport racing will be exciting this year as long as the sponsors hang in there because there is no AMA money in the series to speak of.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Found this on utube...
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u_4kVd4zSW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Damn!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Later reports said he was doing closer to 170 mph. His leather sponsor just sold some products!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Heres the finish. About 1/4 the way into the video you will see the smoke off of the front tire of Dane Westby's bike when the other rider hit his front brake lever.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uYax09u5Bdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Another view...
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-4x5l1owzc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Is it normal for them to weave back and forth as much as they were? I'd be pretty pissed about the guy coming over and hitting my front brake lever.

Go back and look from the 4 to 8 second mark on the second video Brian posted. WTF was that guy doing?

I run barkbusters even for MX and I have tangled with people before and believe the barkbusters saved me.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
Is it normal for them to weave back and forth as much as they were? .

They were just drafting one another Mike. At those speeds, the draft can suck you into the back of the bike you are drafting. They are coming up from behind at several miles an hour faster than the guys they are drafting and pulling out to pass just seconds before running into the back of the bike. If the guy in front is also drafting the guy in front of him, then the weaving starts. They don't want to get too far away from the bike in front when they pass or they will lose the effects of the draft.

Drafting is an art. When you come up behind another bike and get into their draft, everything gets real quiet and your fairing will start to buffet. When that happens, you either have to be ready to back the throttle off and let the bike in front tow you or use the draft and your extra speed to pass the guy in front. On the last lap, everyone is looking to pass. When you have five or six bikes all shooting for the same spot, things get a little crowded. Makes for exciting racing though. :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think I'll stick to hitting trees.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My first dream of racing was Daytona. If I were to start doing track days at Hallet, I would DEFINITELY buy the brand of leathers that Eslick was wearing. I like all motorcycle racing but I would be totally broke if I got into road racing. This season should be good if the teams can find enough sponsors. The money is gone as far as the winnings purses are conscerned. But I'll enjoy it none the less. The Daytona Sport Class is so evenly matched, the racing will be back-n-fourth all season.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I don't know. Once Spies left and the whole dmg crap happened I lost interest. Good MotoGP season opener today though. Damn those Hondas are fast.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Haven't watched the recording yet of the GP.

Top Bottom